Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whitetailed and Mule deer breeding >

Whitetailed and Mule deer breeding

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetailed and Mule deer breeding

Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Whitetailed and Mule deer breeding

I live in central Nebraska and a lot of people have different opinions on this. I haven't done any research on the topic but I just wanted to see what everyone thought about it on here. Will a whitetail buck breed a muley doe and vice versa? Just wanted to hear what everybody thinks/knows about this topic.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard about this and saw them talking about it on a hunting show, I think they were hunting colorado.

What I've heard is the whitetail is a more aggressive deer, so a hot muley doe may get bred by a whitetail buck as he's more likely to chase off a muley buck.

They had mentioned something about whitetails being more active at night whereas muleys are more active throughout the day? I think is what they suggested. Or maybe something like a whitetail is more likely to sit still vs. jump and run like a muley.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

that is a good ?
i have also heard that whitetails are way more aggressive...
ive also heard this does happen , not very often.rarely do they mix breeding
Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't recall exactly what I heard, but I thought it was the whitetail buck breeding the muley doe. Further, I have seen through video, examples of whitetail/muley mix. It's odd to see a whitetail jumping like a muley. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default hey

the reason w/t tend to breed mulie does is a difference in breeding rituals w/t's tend to run does until they "succumb" to their charm kinda like me and my wife whereas mule deer tend to just check for esterus and leave if the female isnt ready so when a mulie buck approaches a w/t doe when she runs off whether in esterus or not they tend to just give up
Old 12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i aint sure, but i like long ranges idear!!i apparently they do breed, i thought someone said they seen a vid or somethin
Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine has one of those crossbread bucks hanging on the wall. Next time I go over I will take a closer look at it. If my memory serves me correct it was a whitetail with fork antlers.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LONGRANGE08
the reason w/t tend to breed mulie does is a difference in breeding rituals w/t's tend to run does until they "succumb" to their charm kinda like me and my wife
So you're saying there's a chance!!! haha. On a serious note thanks for your input guys and if there are anymore out there lets here them!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Spike

I was talking with a river guide in West Virginia, around the New River Gorge, and he told me that in the late 1970s or early 80s, the over hunting had brought the average weight of the whitetails way down, so officials brought in Mulie does and let them loose to mingle with the whitetails. After only a few years, the average weights of harvested deer in the area were way up. Now he might have been putting me on, but he really seemed ernest. I might need to go check out what I can find online.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with those who say mulies and whitetails crossbreed. I also agree it's almost always the whitetail buck that services a mule deer doe.

One question. Since these are hybrids, do these offsprings reproduce between themselves or are they sterile?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.