Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New To Deer Hunting

Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Spike

Default New To Deer Hunting

I have never been deer hunting. My wife bought me a rifle and ammo for my birthday. Marlin XL7 30-06 with a Nikon Prostaff Scope. We have plenty of WMAs around us to hunt. I only have $200 dollars to spend on anything deer hunting related. I know need some hunting clothing, but what else do I need before I go? I have the hunter's education class scheduled for Dec 12 so I will not be hunting before then.
  • What clothing would you recommend (only have $200 total to spend, starting from scratch, I will be hunting in weather from 15-60 degrees)
  • Any other accessories or anything I really need?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Hawnted; 11-30-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Spike

A scope might be a good option if you don't already have one......
Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scope (?), good boots and stooting sticks.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Spike

Sorry forgot to add that. She bought me a Nikon Prostaff scope as well. My Father-In-Law is going to help me sight it in this weekend. Any camo pants and shirts for that temp range that you recommend? for under 200 total?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will need some clothes, but don't be fooled into believing they have to be special purpose "hunting" clothes. You can get by for a while with things you wear for other activities outdoors. A good pair of boots alone could bust half your budget or more, so focus on necessities, like meeting the hunter-orange requirement. Also, don't wear white. I read that deer see blue better than other colors, so stay away from blue.

Gun, bullets, drag rope, knife, compass (maybe), grunt call. I hunted quite a bit with just these items and clothes I already had.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
You will need some clothes, but don't be fooled into believing they have to be special purpose "hunting" clothes. You can get by for a while with things you wear for other activities outdoors. A good pair of boots alone could bust half your budget or more, so focus on necessities, like meeting the hunter-orange requirement. Also, don't wear white. I read that deer see blue better than other colors, so stay away from blue.

Gun, bullets, drag rope, knife, compass (maybe), grunt call. I hunted quite a bit with just these items and clothes I already had.
Thanks for the suggestions. I backpack a lot so have some good boots. We have a 500sq inch requirement for blaze orange so I guess that would be about a full vest and hat.

Looks like all I need is a grunt call, drag rope, and some clothing. Do I need to worry about the special scent stuff? How about the scent free laundry detergent and stuff like that? Any good quality inexpensive camo you recommend?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get too hung up on the clothing thing. It's not a fashion show. If you're going to be wearing blaze orange, then IMO spending a bunch of money on camo is a waste. Just wear warm clothes. If it's going to be cold, dress in layers. I hunt wearing a suitably warm coat for the temps and insulated bibs (like Carhart, but a different brand), with several base layers. As for the whole scent control thing, I don't even sweat that too much. Paying attention to the wind and staying down/crosswind to the deer is your best bet. I've seen (and shot) more deer without using all the fancy scent eliminators than I have with. Some people swear by the stuff, but I think that working the wind is more important.

Mike
Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Hawnted
Thanks for the suggestions. I backpack a lot so have some good boots. We have a 500sq inch requirement for blaze orange so I guess that would be about a full vest and hat.

Looks like all I need is a grunt call, drag rope, and some clothing. Do I need to worry about the special scent stuff? How about the scent free laundry detergent and stuff like that? Any good quality inexpensive camo you recommend?
I have not backpacked much, so don't know alot about backpacking boots. However the hunting boots that I live by would be ill suited for backpacking. Nothing will end you hunt sooner then cold feet. A heavy pack boot or 2000 gram thinsulate rubber boot is a most in low temps unless you are still hunting and moving about.

Don't skimp on boots.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

A $10 orange vest and $5 hat will meet your requirements for blaze orange.

Uncle Norby is giving you good advice.

You can view aerial maps of potential hunting areas for free online (google maps, terraserver, mapslive, etc.). Some you can print and definately use a map and compass if going into unfamiliar territory. Sounds like you may head out hunting alone. Make a plan. Plan your hunt and hunt your plan. Let someone know where you are going and when you should be out or reporting back in. Safety first!

Another consideration for eating up your $200 budget............ammunition for sighting in. Ammo eats up money fast so I wish you luck in getting sighted in quickly and efficiently.

Oh. And your wife? Buying you a nice rifle? Encouraging you to go hunting? She rocks!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'll second the good boots. I recently froze my butt off wearing steel toed boots. I'm pretty broke and on my first season as well. My experience so far is to get good boots, and clothing that's suited to the weather and comfortable. I also want a lightweight folding stool, the 5-gallon bucket in my ground blind sux! If you're miserable, you won't stay out as long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.