Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
He loves when I come back from hunting >

He loves when I come back from hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

He loves when I come back from hunting

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default He loves when I come back from hunting

Anyone else's dog go nutz over an antler. Our dog will chomp on his antler in such a frenzy you'd think he was having convulsions! And as for his teeth - beautiful, pure white - everywhere.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Is he a puppy?

I've never seen a white poodle with such clean eye ducts before. I usually see that dirty brown spot under their eyes. As I get older, I'm starting to appreciate poodles more. You have a beautiful guy there. I have some little babies too! They're viscious Yorkies.

iSnipe
Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never thought to cut the antlers off my buck this year and bring them home for my dog... though my dog was EXTREMELY interested in my bloody hunting clothes. I don't think I could have drug him away from them with a tractor! He followed them all the way to the washing machine. Not a huge fan of small fluffy dogs, but yours is cute.

Mike
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Is he a puppy?

I've never seen a white poodle with such clean eye ducts before. I usually see that dirty brown spot under their eyes. As I get older, I'm starting to appreciate poodles more. You have a beautiful guy there. I have some little babies too! They're viscious Yorkies.

iSnipe
Dusty is a ****zu/Bichon and will be 1 yo Jan 25th.

The secret to keeping the eyes clean?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by driftrider
I never thought to cut the antlers off my buck this year and bring them home for my dog... though my dog was EXTREMELY interested in my bloody hunting clothes. I don't think I could have drug him away from them with a tractor! He followed them all the way to the washing machine. Not a huge fan of small fluffy dogs, but yours is cute.

Mike
Dusty has been driven crazy by the deer smells brought into the garage and house! Everytime I go out in the garage the "white shadow" wants to come out too. These kind of dogs tend to snif sniff sniff everything and lick too but when he gets out in that garage I think he goes into sensory overload. LOL! Me and a son were out in the garage yesterday butchering and making ground and when Dusty got out there later there wasn't a scrap to be found. He is a good little 4-legged vacuum for crumbs.

That isn't an antler from any of the deer we took. We just ask the processor and he has plenty of little spikes and forks.

He really gave me a kick when he was in my truck and got in the backseat and decided it was time to make a huge shed his new chew toy. IT WAS BIGGER THAN HE WAS!

I was never a fan of small dogs either but this time around we definately wanted something that didn't shed and because some of our kids allergies it had to be hypo-allergenic. Momma went in this direction and once we went looking and found this guy I was left kinda powerless.

Last edited by uncle matt; 11-30-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Spike

Ha! I had never thought to give my dogs antlers to chew on. Apparently its very healthy for dogs!

So this afternoon I called one of the smaller local deer processor guy and he gave me a grocery bag full of spikes and forks (the bigger deer processors in the area were already picked clean)!

my dogs are definitely intrigued....though slightly confused right now because they aren't sure what to make of this new chew-thing.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking pooch!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

It never occurred to me to give Lily (shepherd-husky mix) antlers, but she would go bonkers when I pulled in with a deer in the truck. She would jump up and try to look in the bed. When the deer was out, lots of sniffing. I always brought home the heart and liver, which were chopped up for her and the cats. Then, when I picked up the meat, I'd bring her home a box full of deer bones. I'd give her one a day until they were gone. The shoulder blades and smaller stuff, including rib cages, she would eat. She would sometimes eat some of the leg bones, but some were still being chewed on and played with well into the summer.

Lily (14+ years old) died of kidney failure the Saturday before Thanksgiving, not too long after I got my second deer this year. I was incredibly sad to have lost her, but glad she got those last deer treats.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our pooches do grow to be very dear to us. Sorry to hear about Lily passing.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeep4x4greg
Ha! I had never thought to give my dogs antlers to chew on. Apparently its very healthy for dogs!

So this afternoon I called one of the smaller local deer processor guy and he gave me a grocery bag full of spikes and forks (the bigger deer processors in the area were already picked clean)!

my dogs are definitely intrigued....though slightly confused right now because they aren't sure what to make of this new chew-thing.
Most dogs are crazy about chewing on antlers. And as hard as they are they do wonders to keep their teeth clean and white.

When we bring him in for grooming they always ask if we want his teeth done. I ask them, "Do you think he needs it?" They will peek at his teeth and get the WTH? look.

Maybe I oughta chew on an antler, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.