Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot >

Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot

Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot

Ok Guys, Heres the question;

I have been hunting with slugs for a long time and love it, but I'm joining a club that is in a buckshot only county. My 500 hates buckshot. Plus, it's a great excuse to add a new smokepole to the barn.

I know this will be like a Ford/Chevy argument but here's your chance to brag on your gun.

I want a semi auto with a removable plug, preferably camo that can do double duty as a turkey/goose/duck/dove gun. 3" or 3-1/2" 12 ga. Price is an object! I have no need to spend $1200 on this thing, and the only thing that impresses me is the pattern. I want unreasonalbly crazy tight patterns at extened ranges (for a shotgun that is)

If the big buck is 80 yards out broadside, I'd like a chance.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Price IS an object.

You want the gun to do more than double duty.

I'd suggest you buy a gun you can afford that is suitable for ALL of your intended uses, and then find the buckshot load that works best out of it.

I'd consider mounting a scope and using that to point your buckshot as accurately as possible. Lots of guys are shooting turkey guns with scopes. Then find the choke tube/buckshot load that gives the best results. I don't know if there are barrels manufactured with rifled sights that also take choke tubes, but that could also be a good way to go rather than just a bead front sight.

I'd recommend that buckshot be used out to say 50-60 yards. You may/may not get a tight pattern beyond that range, but to me the buckshot doesn't carry enough whallop.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

" />[IMG]http://huntingnet.com/forum/[url=http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Rebelhog/?action=view&current=Chokes.jpg]

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 11-30-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 1100 Magnum with the 30" full choke barrel would be my choice.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot doesn't have enough energy to consistently kill beyond 40 yards max, with thirty yards max being an even better choice, no matter what your pattern looks like. More deer are wounded and just considered a miss beyond that distance. Remember that a 00 buckshot pellet at 40 yards has the same amount of energy that a .22LR has at the muzzle, a .22 is hardly considered a deer cartridge. I'd actually recomend going to the dixieslugs web site and look at their tri-ball load, it has three pellets that are .600" diameter each.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Spike

The biggest key for you getting a good pattern is a choke tube......a turkey full or special choke like a pattern master choke tube will prolly give you the best results.....
Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

everything I have read says don't shoot buckshot in a turkey choke. My turkey tube is unreal but I'd hate to blow off the end of my barrel with buckshot through it.

I HAVE the Remington 1100 full choke gun. It is the best I've ever seen, but it is being handed down to my son and not made anymore in 3"/30"

I get the range limitations however I think a .30 caliber lead ball in the form of 5 or 6 of them hitting the vitals is great power at 60 yards...if the gun can do it.

How about a choke tube I can try in my 500 to tighten stuff up a bit? Sugestions. Maybe I'l buy annother accuchoke bbl for deer, tub and red dot it. then I still have the regular smooth bore for doves/ducks/geese. I like my 500. THe only down side is the slide is noisy but I can deal with that.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

My Mossberg 500 Pump works perfect...
Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot is cheap enough to test with all of your choke tubes. You only need a couple shots at a given distance with a given load. Buy a few brands and use targets that are big enough to show where the pellets are hitting, like maybe a 2' square. Once you find your optimal load, then worry about adjusting the scope or sights.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember
everything I have read says don't shoot buckshot in a turkey choke. My turkey tube is unreal but I'd hate to blow off the end of my barrel with buckshot through it.

I HAVE the Remington 1100 full choke gun. It is the best I've ever seen, but it is being handed down to my son and not made anymore in 3"/30"

I get the range limitations however I think a .30 caliber lead ball in the form of 5 or 6 of them hitting the vitals is great power at 60 yards...if the gun can do it.

How about a choke tube I can try in my 500 to tighten stuff up a bit? Sugestions. Maybe I'l buy annother accuchoke bbl for deer, tub and red dot it. then I still have the regular smooth bore for doves/ducks/geese. I like my 500. THe only down side is the slide is noisy but I can deal with that.
I have shot buckshot through my 10gauge with trukey extra full choke and had no problems....mainly for coyote calling.....the pattern master choke tube is unreal for all occasions a very tight choke that will handle all types of shot........would definately look into it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.