Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baited area question

Old 11-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Baited area question

I live in Missouri so actual baiting is out of the question. I do not want to hunt over bait, so I don't want to get into that discussion either. My question is, What is considered a baited area? As far as I can find in the regulations, it states you cannot hunt a baited area. It does not give any indication of distance or acreage. I know my neighbors will start putting out corn very soon since rifle season is over. I usually put corn out as well, but since I am still bow hunting, I cannot.

I have heard different opinions which range from 100 yards to 1/2 square mile. The property I hunt is over 560 acres so I have options as where to set up. I just don't want to be too close to their setup and get in trouble. Hopefully there is a conservation agent reading the forum to enlighten me hunting party.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

you say you cannot hunt over bait, so why are you and neighbors putting out corn? If you are hunting in oaks and they are dropping acorns that is not bait I would think. If you are hunting i an apple orchard and there are apples on the ground that have fallen that is not bait I would think. Baiting I believe is something that you place to bring in the animal this case a deer. I am not a game warden or conservation officer, just a hunter. In Ohio I can bait, so I do some times. Hopes this helps.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
you say you cannot hunt over bait, so why are you and neighbors putting out corn?
What does his neighbors have to do with your question? He can not control that.

Also, where did he say he was putting out bait?

iSnipe
Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

You cannot hunt over bait, and you are in violation of this rule even if you don't know the area is baited. So, if you know your neighbor is baiting don't go within shooting distance of his property line. It is a violation to place bait in such a manner as to cause someone else to unknowingly hunt near it. So both you and your neghbor could get in trouble. I would call my local agent if I were you and ask him to fill you in so you can hunt legal. I will begin feeding deer too after muzz season and after all the bowhunters have indicated that they are through. It really seems to pay off to attract deer over the winter and keep them healthy and well fed until 10 days before someone wants to hunt next bow season.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

We do not put out bait, we put out supplement for the deer to sustain a healthy population during the winter months. It also helps to determine which bucks and an idea of how many doe have survived the hunting season. As far as my neighbor goes, I have only talked to him one time in the 3 years of hunting this property, and that was during this year's rifle season. I personally do not know where he has his corn and cameras but if an area is considered baited 1000 yards from the corn, then two of my stands are in violation I am sure, but if it is only 200 yards, then I am free and clear. Also, would weapon make a difference? I plan on hunting with the muzzy as well, so would that extend the range?

If I don't get an answer here, I will call my local agent and discuss the issue. I just don't want to jump the gun and give him a reasonable suspicion to come and check out my property and my neighbors. No need to tick off the neighbors since we all somewhat agree on deer management.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by turkey guide
You cannot hunt over bait, and you are in violation of this rule even if you don't know the area is baited.
I highly doubt this so much, I'd recommend to ALL never to rely on what people tell you on the internet in regards to these matters. It's best to contact your CO, DNR or whatever the game authority is in your area.

In MN, you are NOT guilty of hunting over bait if you do not know it exists!

In MN, you are NOT guilty of hunting near bait if your neighbor is baiting/feeding, because you can't control what others do and shouldn't be penalized for it!

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 11-30-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think he is bow huntin, and no bait durin that season...ask your dnr..its the only sure fire way to know for sure...although i called and asked ours a question, he said no, then i read from the book and then he said yes...usually left hand dont know what the right hand is doing
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

In response to your question about a baited area, I have the same question concerning Indiana laws. The law states a "Baited area" but gives no definition as to what a "baited area" is. Is it with in shooting range?? Is it within a square mile?? Is it within an acreage limit??

Go ask your CO/DNR. They most likely won't have a clear answer either. It is up to their interpretation. A law that has to be interpreted because it is vague in its guidelines is a badly written law.Just like the Indiana law that says it is illegal to cast any artificial light, no matter the source, while in possesion of a gun or bow. That rule, while not the intent, clearly forbids you from using a flashlight to get into your morning stand. A poorly worded rule.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to call the CO either tomorrow or the next day. I just have to find the business card of our local. He is a pretty good guy.

As far as our regs, it specifically states that placing bait in such a way to cause someone else to be in violation, is still a violation. It is also a violation to hunt an area that you do not know is baited, so that leads me to believe there is a distance involved, but I guess it could be a little common sense applied to the equation, depending on travel routes, bait location, stand location, etc.

There are other regs that are poorly worded, but over the last few years, our state has been working on clearing them up. I have heard of at least one court case that was dismissed because the lawyer questioned the wording of the baiting rule, but that is more up to the judge than anybody else. Most people probably don't fight the ticket as hard as this group did.

Well, thanks for the responses.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Got another scenario for you guys to consider. Apples and acorns are natural and you can hunt these. Corn and bean fields are "natural" and you can hunt these.

However can you hunt a picked corn field that has a few piles of corn spread out through it from where the farmer had some spillage transfering from picker to wagon?? It is there by the "natural act" of farming and was not put there to attract game. If the answer is yes then explain the difference between a farmer spilling a bushel or two of corn and a hunter spilling a bushel or 2 of corn. Semantics. If the answer is no you can't hunt it, then how is that picked fieldd any different and not considered baited.

I can't ever recall seeing a deer eating corn off an unshucked cob. They have to wait to it is shucked and loose on the ground. Much like I rarely see a deer pluck an apple off of a tree that is 6 ft off the ground. They wait for it to fall. Artificiallly making the apple fall is baiting. Artificilally using a machine to husk corn and spill on the ground is no different.

I propose new legislation in no bait states, that picked corn fields be made off limits for the standard 10 days AFTER plowing under has been complete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.