Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Full Moon Strategy Help

Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default Full Moon Strategy Help

Can anyone share with me some of their proven tactics for hunting the upcoming full moon? I have seven days off coming up starting friday and I have my eyes on a good one to take with my bow. Want to have some extra tricks up my sleve to try and out smart this old buck.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could sit all day which some say is the best because the deer might go back to bedding area later in the morning. Or stay home drink beer because hunting a full moon is a waste of time.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 130woodman
You could sit all day which some say is the best because the deer might go back to bedding area later in the morning. Or stay home drink beer because hunting a full moon is a waste of time.
Here Here !!!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to follow all that moon phase stuff years ago back in the early 90's when it first came out on the "wheel". I then found myself dependent on it. I also found myself becoming lazy because I started to let a "wheel" dictate where I hunted, when I hunted and IF I hunted.

I have found that hunting season is so short anyway, I chucked the dang thing and hunted regardless. You know what, I was killing deer well enough. LOL!

Anyway, there are better times to hunt, in as far as the moon's size and position is concerned, so they say, but I since forgot all that, so if you're curious, I hope someone can offer up that info.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Spike

I have killed deer later in the morning and on into the noon hour but I'm with you the moon phase time schedule for game movement is crap! I was just wondering if some of ya'll may have found out something other than what I knew that hunting a full moon is tough. Can't say I'll stay in and drink beer but I bet I'll have a few shots of whiskey.....strictly for medicinal pourposes of course.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

its better to wait on the new moon...but if ya have to hunt these 7 days than so be it..i have killed my share of deer durin full moon phases, but i see more the mornin after the new moon..

hard to remember, but it was late mornin on those full moon phases that i seen deer...so stay all day, cant get one from the livin room..unless you are set up like that lol
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Spike

...so stay all day, cant get one from the livin room..unless you are set up like that lol[/quote]

I actually am set up that way. I live on 60ac and lease the surrounding 110. There is a big hay medow between my house and the tree line that I planted about 3ac of Monster Mix on. I did this so while my wife and I are taking turns hunting and watching the 2yr and 4yr old the one that is not on stand can technically still hunt...however comfortable it may be.