Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new need help

Old 11-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

Default new need help

ok so im new to this forum but i need help on an issue im having. i just got a remington wind or wing master 12 gauge pump and i want to set it up for deer hunting, i went trap shooting today and i like it and it shoots well. but i need to know what modifications i need to do to it and what kind of stuff i should buy, like shells, i think it has a modified choke, it says mod on the barrell, any information will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

and i will be doing huntin in thick conditions like brush and trees if that helps any, and i live in georgia
Old 11-28-2009, 05:47 PM
j76
Typical Buck

can you change the choke? if so id go to a improved cylinder or slug choke, if ya cant, its a crap shoot. i have an 870 express that shoots a great pattern with shot, but ya could shoot around the corner with a slug! 6 in low and to the right at 50 yrds. think youll just have to play with it and find out what works best for ya
Old 11-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Spike

i mean i can change the barrell. sorry im new with the whole shotgun thing.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:56 PM
j76
Typical Buck

my dad has a 870 with a modified choke that shoots a slug great, my 870 is awful with a modified choke, ya can buy a box of slugs pretty cheap so just try it and see what happens
Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

If it has choke tubes, I'd switch to an improved cylinder. If not, you should be fine with a modified. It won't be as accurate as an improved cylinder, but you should be fine. Just make sure you know your effective range.

Also, research the slugs. Most of them should be safe with a modified choke. I know some aren't supposed to be shot from a full choke, just double check to be safe.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Spike

so just try with the modified? which slugs would you recommend?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

It's tough to recommend a slug. Different guns will like different slugs. I'd go buy 4 or 5 different slugs. Just the small box of 5. Shoot 3 of each slug, switching targets between brands. Whichever groups best, go buy another box and hunt.

I'd shoot at 25 or 30 yards with a good solid rest. This should give you a good idea of which slug works best for you. When you find the best group, move back to 50 yards just to see if you can shoot accurate from that distance.

I'd also go with 2 3/4" slugs. 3" or 3 1/2" slugs can be brutal to shoot. And you'll be doing alot of shooting trying to find the right slug.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 PM
j76
Typical Buck

not a big shotgun slug user so dont have a preference but im sure they are like any other ammo, so just pick one and see how it works for ya. its not a slug gun so yer limited on range and the kill zone of a deer is pretty big target, if it hits a paper plate at 50 yrds it will do the job.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Spike

ok thanks guys for all the help i will try that as soon as i can