Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just a quick question

Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Just a quick question

I put up a stand today in a big buck's core area didnt bump any deer at all going in or while hanging stand do you all think that I could have scared him out or should i go ahead and hunt it in the morning? It is in a hollow where two ridges meet and forms a natural funnel and has a small creek running through it, one side is surrounded with a thicket, if it helps any. Thanks All
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't think you buggered anything up and you can sneak in with good wind and don't spook him and you know this is his area then you'll be sittin in the hot seat. If the wind is wrong, wait and go in another day when it is right. No need to put all that work in and then chance it to bad or marginal winds. Still need some luck but if all is ok your good to go. I love sneakin in on deer and throwin in a stand when they don't know it and make the kill the first time sittin the stand. Makes hunting fun when you do your homework and put yourself where you need to be without the deer ever knowing it. Good luck. WCL
Old 11-27-2009, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like a really good set-up and location. First sit is always the best. Bucks are cruising looking for the last tail of the year, so a little rattling wouldn't hurt
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

great location, go ahead and hunt it.....good luck!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't worry even if I did bump him. Sure, you'd rather not, but...a couple of weeks ago I was walking a scrape line. Came to the biggest one and just as I did, he jumped up from the woods, about 40 yards in, and bolted. I prepped the area and left. Next morning, I went up a tree just a few yards from the scrape and along he came at 0713. A decent 9 point.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bump him once and he'll probably come back, bump him twice and you most likely will never see him again. Just my experience. Hunt the stand with the right wind, good luck!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Spike

I agree with what everyone else has posted but will add my experience for this year's opener. I set my stand up a month before opener in a core area and left it alone until I walked in opening morning. I got to my stand a little more than an hour before sunrise, put out a scent wick and climbed up the stand. Right when I sat down I heard some crashing about 15 yards away from me but couldn't see what it was until he started snorting at me. He snorted 10-12 times really loud and crossed the river - I didn't see him again from that stand. I think he heard my stand creaking as I climbed it and he likely winded me. I practice good scent control but he could probably still smell something that alarmed him.

My best advice is to approach and climb your stand as quietly as possible, be as still as possible once in your stand, and do everything in your power to minimize your human odor. Like White-tail-deer said, make sure the wind is right for the stand before heading out.

Good luck!