Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST >

Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST

Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST

(THOM2 CONFESSION - 11/26/09)

Okay, I posted the "Shoot'n Does in the Head" just to see Members passions.

Over the years I've read a lots of post in other forums
"Were headshots ethical?"

The other forums survey appears most hunter's agree, DON"T TAKE HEADSHOTS.

I have only shot one doe in the head. She had been hit by a semi and lay kicking and suffering on the side of the road.
Cars slowed but didn't stop. I pulled over, and placed two .40 cal bullets in her brain from my SIG.
——————
Original Post: When I have a close sure shot, I usually shoot a meat doe in the head to save as much meat as possible.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the mess a bullet makes with a lung or shoulder shot?
Sorry for the Ruse. ---Thom

Last edited by thom2; 11-26-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: To Post Truth
Old 11-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only slightly less than I'd like the mess I'd make when I shot the deer's nose or jaw off. The head's a pretty small target, that move a lot more than the deer's body. A broadside shot behind the shoulder destroys very little, if any, usable meat, and it's a lot easier to make. And if you do miss the intended mark by few inches, you still have a rapidly and humanely killed deer. Do what you want, but if you wound a deer taking what I consider an iffy shot, then you're not much better than a road poacher, IMO.

Mike
Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

i do the samething thom. i shot a doe in the nose this year. pinned her mouth shut. died within 17 feet. the headshot pretty much newhere will do the job. just tricy shot. i only reccomend it if its a close shot and your steaddy
Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigbucks98
i do the samething thom. i shot a doe in the nose this year. pinned her mouth shut. died within 17 feet. the headshot pretty much newhere will do the job. just tricy shot. i only reccomend it if its a close shot and your steaddy
What a scrambled mess.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Do what you want, but if you wound a deer taking what I consider an iffy shot, then you're not much better than a road poacher, IMO.
Hey driftrider,
I'm not an idiot, If you read my post carefully - you will note I said "CLOSE SURE SHOT". Their head doesn't move at all when they are staring right at you and your crosshairs are right between their eyes at 30 yards. I have never lost a deer, bow or rifle hunting.

I'm not suggesting this technique for everyone. It's just mine.

BTW: I've gotten many head shots of groundhogs at 300 yards. Not off-hand of course.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbucks98

Yeah, take this advice. This person is clueless.

Head shots are unethical.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had rather make a neck shot than the head. The last 3 deer I shot were all in the neck, close range.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather neck or behind the shoulder but thats because I cant get steady enough on a head for some one that can get steady more power to ya.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Totally irresponsible and idiotic shot to take! NO ethical hunter would take a head shot.... those are the actions of a slob hunter. Saving venison.... get real... what would you waste, about a burgers worth of meat... gimme a break! Plus, I'm sure anyone who happens to see the deer in the back of your truck with it's face blown off will be truly impressed!

The more I hunt, the more phrases I happen to come up with for the people that call themselves "meat hunters", generally it simply means, "not a very good one"!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Headshots are quite normal and acceptable where I live. Does in fact are called headshots it's so common. I have taken a few myself and have never missed. We just went through all this recently and there were a zillion anti-headshot posts. People will call you names and unethical for doing it. Some of them are probably bow hunters too! Now, I support bowhunting and I have bowhunted. But if I were gonna stop hunting a particular way because it was pretty iffy and too many things could go wrong and it could be considered unethical, well I would give up bowhunting way, way before I'd give up something thats never failed like a headshot with a rifle. People will say there are too many variables, it's too risky, and I'm sure it is for them, so they don't do it and thats ok. But why they would spout off and start in with the I'm better than you attitude is beyond me. Any legal hunting by any means is ok by me, whether or not I choose to take part, and I support all hunting within the law. You will also find people who would never dream of using a 223 for deer, when it is perfectly legal in many states and I have known people who have never failed to kill a deer with one. After seeing it done I'd say it's way more effective than bowhunting, and an ethical way to instantly put down a deer. But the way it's usually done with a 223 is the neck shot, which is supposedly another unethical shot which is too risky for a real hunter to take. I've seen it done, it works instantly and it's permanent. I can't imagine a way to kill em any faster or any deader. What I'm getting at here is we all do our own thing within the law, and we all should support each other as hunters, But there will always be someone who doesn't agree with your style of hunting. I say if you are comfortable with it and are free to do it within the law do it! I killed two last year about two seconds and fifty yds apart. I shot em in the head mainly because it was all I could see above the weeds. But they were sure shots, very easy offhand, no support shots that anyone hunting should be able to easily make. If anyone couldn't make those shots, I could question whether they should be hunting at all. But I wouldn't because if they bought a tag they probably had a safety class and some shooting experience and it's really none of my business anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.