Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST >

Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot'n Does in the Head - READ POST FIRST

Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I would opt to take a more traditional shot with better odds. Lots of places to take a deer without ruining meat that offer a larger more stable target. Even an inch or two off the mark on a head shot can give unwanted results. That inch or two can be shooter error, gun/ scope slightly off, or a deers head suddenly moving.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

I don't think I could ever take a head shot on a deer. I would be to afraid of wounding it and making it suffer if it wasn't good enough shot to put it down. I'd rather go for the heart/lung/liver shot and if need be, track that sucker if for nothing else, the experience and the challenge.

Then it would really feel like hunting to me and find my prize!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

If you can make the shot, OK, but this 'I don't want to waste the meat' arguement is a bit specious. A shot behind the shoulder mid body, broadside, quartering away or quartering towards, will not impact any quantity of meat and will drop the deer within 25 yards.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Spike

head shot is about the worst unethical shot you could take. i'd rather get skunked for the year than risk a head shot
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

head shots with a rifle should not be a problem within a certain range and if your well prepared and have a good rest. never with a bow.
but the part about not wanting to waste meat or making a mess i don't know about, i mostly will put a bullet right behind the shoulder thru both lungs, very little mess and i can't imagine who would eat those nasty ribs anyway(skidgrease)!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Totally irresponsible and idiotic shot to take! NO ethical hunter would take a head shot.... those are the actions of a slob hunter. Saving venison.... get real... what would you waste, about a burgers worth of meat... gimme a break! Plus, I'm sure anyone who happens to see the deer in the back of your truck with it's face blown off will be truly impressed!

The more I hunt, the more phrases I happen to come up with for the people that call themselves "meat hunters", generally it simply means, "not a very good one"!
totaly agree,dumb shot and shows no respect for the animal
Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

sounds to like the "put the light on it and i'll it shoot between the eyes shot" .
Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Head shots are a bad idea. Hit one in the nose or lower jaw to run off and die an agonizing death is very unsportsmanlike IMO. No shot is a sure shot either. Anyone that thinks so hasn't hunted to long.

There really is no reason to ever take a head shot.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

Why not shoot a trophy buck in the head if you are worried about meat. That's BS. You cant eat the antlers, right? What is the sick obsession with wanting to shoot them in the head? I think there are those that just enjoy the gore of it. This f-n garbage about "drop them in their tracks" is also a joke. The meat argument is crap. Behind the shoulder broadside is the safest shot. If you don't have the shot, don't friggin shoot.

And don't even start the ethics/legal argument. You have to except the fact that because something is legal doesn't make it ethical. PERIOD.

Laws are how the courts judge behavior, ethics are how you are judged by your peers.

Its disrespectful and a low margin for error. Don't do it.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thom2 confesses - no head shots

Okay, I posted the "Shoot'n Does in the Head" just to see Members passions.

Over the years I've read a lots of post in other forums
"Were headshots ethical?"

The other forums survey appears most hunter's agree, DON"T TAKE HEADSHOTS.

I have only shot one doe in the head. She had been hit by a semi and lay kicking and suffering on the side of the road.
Cars slowed but didn't stop. I pulled over, and placed two .40 cal bullets in her brain from my SIG.

Sorry for the Ruse. ---Thom

___

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.