HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Hunting/Hunting Magazine (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/310647-deer-hunting-hunting-magazine.html)

huntr4lfe 11-24-2009 09:59 AM

Deer Hunting/Hunting Magazine

I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a hunting magazine that you read and gain a lot of knowledge from. I have read several in the past and I was just wanting to get some of your opinions. Thanks!

turkey guide 11-24-2009 10:24 AM

I've read a lot of them and like them all, but I settled on the North American hunter magazine, and American Hunter magazine, so that I could support wildlife and guns. I became a life member of The North Amercan Hunting Club, and the NRA, so I get those magazines for ever. The junk mail that comes with it will also heat your home for the winter if you save it to burn! That is a joke but they do send a lot of mail wanting more financial help than most can afford to give, but I suppose if it didn't pay off for them they would stop, so they must be raking it in and thats a good thing for wildlife and the bill of rights. I know the NAHC gives to Pheasants Forever and other groups and The NRA protects all our freedoms even though they primarily fight to keep gun rights. I also would suggest NRA news.com for live coverage of whats going on in the nation day to day concerning gun rights cases. They have a live broadcast as well as archives and news from everywhere on guns and hunting legislation.

iSnipe 11-24-2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by huntr4lfe

...wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a hunting magazine that you read and gain a lot of knowledge from.

I've read many a deer hunting magazine in my days. I use to have a boat load of subscriptions coming to me all the time.

If I had to recommend only one for it's knowledge, I say get Deer & Deer Hunting.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/Magazine/

iSnipe

marshall9779 11-24-2009 11:06 AM

I really only hunt deer, so I figured whey read about anything else. I picked up Deer and Deer Hunting about 5 years ago and have been hooked. Great magazine with super informative articles. You might learn way more than you bargained for.

PY Antlers 11-24-2009 01:23 PM

I read deer and deer hunting as well or used to anyway. I prefer to read North American Whitetail now. But its a matter of preferance

FLBandit 11-24-2009 01:53 PM

I like Deer and Deer Hunting as well. I also get a few local Mags called Wood and Water, and Florida Game and Fish. They have a lot of good local info.

huntr4lfe 11-24-2009 02:29 PM

Picked up a copy of Deer and Deer Hunting, great magazine! Thanks for your input and keep em coming!

IL-Cornfed 11-24-2009 02:45 PM

North American Whiteail is the best deer hunting mag available!

cwanty03 11-24-2009 04:17 PM

Bowhunter & Deer & Deer Hunting

Iowabucks44 11-24-2009 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by iSnipe (Post 3510916)
If I had to recommend only one for it's knowledge, I say get Deer & Deer Hunting.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/Magazine/

iSnipe

X2

I also like North American Whitetail, but most of those articles are on specific deer already harvested and the story behind their hunt.

Remnard 11-24-2009 04:54 PM

north american whitetail
deer and deer hunting
petersens hunting

lbott29 11-26-2009 06:47 AM

for learning deer and deer hunting is the best. for reading hunting stories north american whitetail by far both mags are worth the subsciption

remmy123 11-26-2009 11:35 AM

I try to find as many local mags. as possible, nothing wrong with reading about hunting deer in river bottoms out west but when it comes to strategy that dosnt help me much in mich.

KYDeerHunter03 11-26-2009 12:10 PM

My favorite is deer and deer hunting. For bowhunting I like petersens bowhunting and bowhunting world.

NC Buck Slayer 11-26-2009 02:29 PM

Deer & Deer Hunting if you want to learn about deer. Its worth the money to buy those back issues on CD.

NJheadhunter71 11-26-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer (Post 3512656)
Deer & Deer Hunting if you want to learn about deer. Its worth the money to buy those back issues on CD.

Personally Deer & Deer Hunting is to analytical for me. I know you want to learn everything about the WT deer but sometimes they just go to far talking about amino acids in deer and just some other stuff that the common hunter could care less about or doesn't need to know. To make it worse the show stinks too.

Petersons all the way

GTOHunter 11-26-2009 04:12 PM

I buy Deer & Deer Hunting also and they have a lot of great information in their magazines and some really nice pictures of Deer.Sure some of the articles get a little in-depth but its nice to know about the feeding habits of Deer,what really happens to them when they are injured/shot and how their blood clots to help them survive.I also buy some of the Bow Hunting magazines but most cover Elk,Bear and Antelope which I don't hunt or really care to read about!Our local State magazine is Missouri Game and Fish and they cover Deer Hunting,Fishing,Game Birds,Varmit Hunting and some trapping too!North American Whitetail is a good magazine and "Racks" has some really great stories about Individuals Deer Hunting and their stories!

isatarak 11-26-2009 06:02 PM

Deer and Deer Hunting.

DeerandbearhoG 11-27-2009 03:41 AM

I wouldnt be so quick to believe everything you read in D&DH. just because the writers sound knowledgeable, doesnt mean the info. in there is going to help you understand& kill a real wild deer . the theories they write about in D&DH are just that ,theories, and very few have proved themselves true in my hunting experience. Ive read articles by C. Alshiemer about moon phase, early rut predictions, "Lock down" breeding phase,etc. none of them ever proved true IMO. all I can really say I know about deer w/ certainty is, deer are unpredictable, will often prove the "experts" theories wrong.

If you really want to read a common sense magazine about hunting and the outdoors, I would suggest FurFish&Game.

huntr4lfe 11-30-2009 08:25 AM

Thanks guys a lot of great information here!