Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New to hunting...needs gun advice.. >

New to hunting...needs gun advice..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting...needs gun advice..

Old 11-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

You could go with Mossberg 500 Combo or Remington 870 Combo...........

If you decide on a rifle, go with .260 or 7mm-08
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest dropping to a 20 guage, they are as effective as 12, with less recoil!

I have both Mossberg and Remington combos in 20 guage in the house, both have taken: turkey, duck, geese, deer.

Work great, pattern great, throw slugs great.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870
Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY
A very good piece of advice for anybody that shoots a combo.... Never shoot slugs out of your bird barrel!
huh??? rifled shotgun barrels have been around about 20years, shotgun slugs were invented over a hundred years ago. were they just sitting on the shelf waiting for slug barrels to be invented? of coarse you can shoot slugs out of a "bird barrel" as long as they are not sabots.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
huh??? rifled shotgun barrels have been around about 20years, shotgun slugs were invented over a hundred years ago. were they just sitting on the shelf waiting for slug barrels to be invented? of coarse you can shoot slugs out of a "bird barrel" as long as they are not sabots.
It's not the smooth vs rifled barrel that I'm referring to. It's the choke that many bird hunting guns come in. The purpose of a choke tube is to constrict the shot as it leaves the barrel of the gun. If I'm shooting turkeys with a 3" shell loaded with #4 shot, I like the constricted pattern. If I'm shooting a slug, I don't want any constriction.

Many (most?) dedicated bird guns come with an improved cylinder which is recommended when shooting slugs. But, as evidenced by the OP's pawn shop find, some of them come with a full choke.

At best, shooting a slug through a full choke will cause a loss of accuracy.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most new shotguns come w/ 3-5 choke tubes,the 870 express comes w/ 1 mod. choke I think. foster slugs are ok to shoot through full chokes, brennekee up to mod IMo. I use to shoot fosters through a mossberg 500 20 ga. w/ vent rib and IC choke, hit right where the bead was pointing at 50 yds off hand.