Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is it too late in the year to use the Can call? >

Is it too late in the year to use the Can call?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it too late in the year to use the Can call?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it too late in the year to use the Can call?

So I'm wondering is it too late in the year to use the can call? This is in the VA and NC area.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't hesitate to use it where I am at, at this time of year. In fact, it reminds me of a breeding bellow given off by does that want to breed now... or that's the way it was explained in a video many years ago.

The can call is a later season call in my opinion and is suppose to draw the bucks in. The only negative reports I've heard about the can call, is that a few have reported watching does scurry away after hearing the call. That's a hard decision to make if it's effective in their situation because who knows how many times they used it? They may have went overboard and if so, then most any call will start to alarm a deer if over used.

How often should one use it? Who knows. If I use it, I use it about 3-4 times in a 3 1/2-4 1/2 hour hunt, so about once an hour. If you go twice an hour, I don't see that as being too aggressive.

iSnipe