Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I'll probably start a war.............. >

I'll probably start a war..............

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'll probably start a war..............

Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question I'll probably start a war..............

Im gonna buy a Rem 700 after christmas,which caliber should i get,30-06 or 7mm rem mag,for whitetails.Longest shot ill be takin can be up to 350-400 yards.Ill use it as my ''treestand gun'' also.thanks yall.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

how about a .270win or .270wsm instead? both will drop a deer at 400yds.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

.270 or the 7mm
Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

When I get a 700 in 30-06, it will be a ridiculous great deal for me, as far as little money spent, as the -06 is a caliber I have no need for just to kill a deer.

Too bad you never considered different calibers for whitetails or I'd add several recommendations.

For a simple example: a Remington Scirocco Bonded 90gr. .243 will hold almost a 1,000ft. lbs. of energy at 400 yards! That's more than enough to put the smack down on a whitetail and that's the smaller end of the calibers I would have mentioned.

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Either will work. Being a fan of the 7mm bullets my vote is the Rem Mag.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey skeeter! I never asked you, but what bullet do you prefer in that cannon you shoot on whitetails? What is the nature of the bullet after impact?

And where do you prefer to shoot them at given the right shot angle?

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Hey skeeter! I never asked you, but what bullet do you prefer in that cannon you shoot on whitetails? What is the nature of the bullet after impact?

And where do you prefer to shoot them at given the right shot angle?

iSnipe
150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. My favorite shot is 1/4 away, thru the lungs out the opposite shoulder. Though a broadsider just behind the pins work JFL as well, and would be my shot of choice when in tight like 150 & under. Wound channels can be impressive if you strike bone at high MV. Can do some damage but IME puts them down effeciently. Most the time my bullets have blown thru, the ones I have recovered were longer shots 400+ & produced mushrooms with 60% weight retention. Shot my antelope buck last month at 458 yard, behind the shoulder lung shot, blew thru and only ribs meat was effected. Goat went straight up and then fell pretty much straight down.

FWIW I don't think it's a canon. Where I hunt deer tend to be a little larger and shots can longer as well. I prefer the 7mm for these reason plus it doubles as a larger then deer(moose & elk) rifle in case my .338wm gets injured and can't go.
Attached Thumbnails I'll probably start a war..............-2009-antelope.jpg  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the 06 and have a couple of them. Factory loads can be changed to make it more suitable for different animals. Ammo availability is everywhere and it is a good all around gun similar to the .270. I have used mine for everything from moose, caribou, elk, deer, yotes to varmits. There are better calibers for different game but I like my trusty 06 and have had great luck with it. I wouldn't say it is a long range caliber though and wouldn't even try a 350 to 400 yd shot.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

either will be fine, but i also am a big fan of the 7's i have two guns in 7mm-08, one pistol, and one rifle, i have two in 7mm mag, and i have one in 7mmSTW, i would not suggest the STW, in fact i am thinking of selling mine, the only reason is it is equiped with a brake and is just too dang loud, not sure of how bad recoil would be W/O th brake but the 7 RM does everything i need plus more to begin with, but for what ever sick and twisted reason i like trying new and different cals, i guess that why i enjoy re-loading so much, that and you can't buy ammo at just any store for an STW

i would stay with a 270 thru a 30 cal in the event you venture out west for elk or the likes, for me the 7's fit the bill great with great bullet choices from 120gr. to mid 160gr's and low BC's..the 06 has the same advantage and IMO you are a little more limited with the 270 bullet choices, but it is a fine round...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd pick the 30-06 or a .270 although you didn't mention the .270.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.