HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'll probably start a war..............
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Hey skeeter! I never asked you, but what bullet do you prefer in that cannon you shoot on whitetails? What is the nature of the bullet after impact?

And where do you prefer to shoot them at given the right shot angle?

iSnipe
150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. My favorite shot is 1/4 away, thru the lungs out the opposite shoulder. Though a broadsider just behind the pins work JFL as well, and would be my shot of choice when in tight like 150 & under. Wound channels can be impressive if you strike bone at high MV. Can do some damage but IME puts them down effeciently. Most the time my bullets have blown thru, the ones I have recovered were longer shots 400+ & produced mushrooms with 60% weight retention. Shot my antelope buck last month at 458 yard, behind the shoulder lung shot, blew thru and only ribs meat was effected. Goat went straight up and then fell pretty much straight down.

FWIW I don't think it's a canon. Where I hunt deer tend to be a little larger and shots can longer as well. I prefer the 7mm for these reason plus it doubles as a larger then deer(moose & elk) rifle in case my .338wm gets injured and can't go.
Attached Images