Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guilt

Old 11-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Guilt

Anyone feel a little guilt when they put one down. Especially when you see it squirming as it dies?

I dont know if its bad to feel this way if you are a hunter, or if its bad if you dont feel this way.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

That's why we have laws and are taught to hunt ethically. I could only imagine the suffering a deer would go through if snared or something. That's why we use guns or archery to harvest them! Don't hesitate to put another round in it too!!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

If it was a solid hit, in the right spot, and it was just "dying", I don't feel guilty.
We all like them to drop dead on the spot, but deer don't always do that.

I shot one during muzzleloader, straight through the heart, broke near shoulder, and far elbow in doing it. It fell on its sternum(chest), and scooted across the field, as it kicked its rear legs for 50yds. Tremendous wound channel, "buckets of blood" trail.
I hated seeing it scoot like that, but it WAS dead. It just didn't know it yet.

If you put a properly constructed bullet/caliber, in the right spot, at the right range, you did all you can humanely do in harvesting a deer. Don't feel guilty.

I shot and then trailed one the other day for 50-60yds through a swamp, and saw where she went in the river. Really good blood trail too. A good puddle, then a few little drips, then another nice puddle, etc. But it went straight to a muddy deer slide.
I walked up and down the bank, but couldn't find where she came back up.
(She might have tried to cross and sank). It was getting dark, and starting to drizzle.
The next morning I tried to resume, but the rain had washed off the blood, so I totally lost her.
I HATE that.
Thats when I feel really guilty when I loose one.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

I hate watching a deer die. I've been very fortunate so far but I almost lost my last deer and I felt tremendously guilty. That was the first time I had experienced that and it really bothered me.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think guilt is the right word as it suggests I did something wrong. But, yes I know what your saying, I don't always have a good feeling when watching them go down. I think these feelings are normal. Killing for your own food is a very humbling experience, and its one I think people (who eat meat) should experience.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

No not at all. If it is suffering too long or seems like it is going to get away, I will quickly put another shot in it to end it's suffering.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

It just means you're human. If you didn't feel anything then you should be worried. I give thanks everytime I take an animal for the meat that feeds my friends and family.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Spike

I don't feel bad when I put a good shot on a deer and it runs and hits 18 trees on the way. I think it's a rush. But I do feel bad when I spine shoot em or something of that nature. And they roll around bawlin. Hmmm. Bad expirrence.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MO-KS_hunter
It just means you're human. If you didn't feel anything then you should be worried. I give thanks everytime I take an animal for the meat that feeds my friends and family.
I agree with MO-KS....its a natural reaction to feel something.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't have a bit of guilt but I do have the utmost respect for the aminal and the traditions of hunting. Taking ethical shots and being prepared in body, mind and equipment is the most I can do to eliminate needless suffering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.