Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Taking son on outfitted youth hunt what is proper tipping rules >

Taking son on outfitted youth hunt what is proper tipping rules

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Taking son on outfitted youth hunt what is proper tipping rules

Old 11-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Taking son on outfitted youth hunt what is proper tipping rules

I am taking my son on an outfitted hunt this weekend in ohio for the youth two day hunt. I have never been through an outfitter b4 and would like to know how tipping works we will have a guide and all meals will be provided as is transportation to and from stand and processing of the deer if sucessful. do I tip cook and guide and outfitter or just guide and cook Please give me recomendations on who and how much Any help extremely appreciated
Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Banned

Not sure I can help because I guided out here in Wyoming where there are no tree stands and hunting success is largly based on how willing you are to go up & over "that other" mountain by foot! Hard hunting for both hunter and guide. And the hunts were 5 - 7 days.
But our outfitter told clients that a tip of a $100.00 (or more if very pleased) was expected from them. Also, these hunts were pricey. Elk: $8,500.00; Mulies: $4,500; etc.
So go by the cost of hunt, difficulty for guide, and overall opinion of hunting experience and go from there. And if a $100 is lunch money to ya . . . go for it! The guide won't offer any change back.
As far as the cook . . . I never got a tip as a cook. I was paid by outfitter and that was that. He gave me some spiffs after the season, but all I got from the hunters was
mmmmmmmmmmmm . . . that was delicious!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you like the cook's cooking, break the rules and ask to see him or if you know where's he at, go see him, compliment his cooking, then hand him some money! Nothing big, just something he himself can at least buy a meal with. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

After spending $4500-$8500 you still need to tip? I don't get tips from my customers for making kick ass dental burs.

A trip to Mexico was $996 for the flight and all inclusive resort. The basically asked you NOT to tip. (We did tip room service and the good bartenders, however.) Why does everyone expect a tip? "I poured your coffe. Tip?" "I made a sandwich. Tip?" "I did my job. Tip?" Tip this.

I'm taking it a little overboard, I know, and I am just messing around. However, I really do think tipping has gone WAY overboard. On the flip side, if people worked on tips instead of commission or paid by the hour there may be better customer service. Car sales wouldn't be as pushy on a more expensive car but, instead, more fitting to the customer's needs. You'd get your coffee or sandwich faster and made with more meat than vegetables. (The sandwich obviously with the meat and veggies, not the coffee.)
Old 11-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Angry

Originally Posted by RyanATiffany
You'd get your... sandwich faster and made with more meat than vegetables.
Interestingly enough that you said that. I was crabby coming home today because I stopped at Pita Pit and got me one of their Pitas. I was ticked off because I was finished with almost 1/2 of it before I came to the meat. LOL! It was mostly lettuce! Nothing like a $6.71 lettuce sandwich to get a guy going.

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RyanATiffany
After spending $4500-$8500 you still need to tip? I don't get tips from my customers for making kick ass dental burs.

A trip to Mexico was $996 for the flight and all inclusive resort. The basically asked you NOT to tip. (We did tip room service and the good bartenders, however.) Why does everyone expect a tip? "I poured your coffe. Tip?" "I made a sandwich. Tip?" "I did my job. Tip?" Tip this.

I'm taking it a little overboard, I know, and I am just messing around. However, I really do think tipping has gone WAY overboard. On the flip side, if people worked on tips instead of commission or paid by the hour there may be better customer service. Car sales wouldn't be as pushy on a more expensive car but, instead, more fitting to the customer's needs. You'd get your coffee or sandwich faster and made with more meat than vegetables. (The sandwich obviously with the meat and veggies, not the coffee.)
Well said indeed. I never did really get the whole tip thing either, but of coarse I'm from the back country. I catch heck from my wife all the time for my tipping or lack of. Spend that kind of money for a hunt and a tip is expected? In my mind the tip was included
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Tipping is a very hard thing to figure out as I am in a business that it is a common thing. First off you would not tip the outfitter as he is the one charging the fees for your hunt. The guides and the cook are working for whatever has been agreed upon. It is a common practice to tip your cook and your guide. How much is totally up to you but I would make it according to how good of a time you had with this guide or did the cook supply good eating and enough of it. For instance when I worked in Alaska I made 50.00 a day extra 20.00 if more than 3 people where the lodge was paid 175.00 per person. So the house got 525.00 while I made 70. Let me tell you tips were very much appriecated. It's really up to you but it's really better not to tip than not to tip enough. There is nothing worse than having a guy say here this is for you take your kids to dinner looking down and seeing 10.00. I guess my answer to how much is if you had a really good service from this person make it enough where he can do something with it. (Take a couple buddys to dinner, buy a box bullets, maybe get a new shirt). If you ever do go back to this place and that guide or cook is still there I promise you he will remember you and will continue to go out of his way to help you.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

On a guided hunt, if you are satisfied with the service, I generally tip in the neighborhood of 10% to the guide and $50-$100 to the cook. Asking the outfitter what they recommend before the hunt is a good idea. be sure to budget the tip in the price of your hunt. A good guide will make your hunting experience. They "bust their butt" and they aren't getting rich from their salary. Enjoy your hunt!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on what your spending....usually only tip the dawg handler...everything else is paid for....unless its a hella deal from a buddy, then ya tip everyone...

i would look at gettin a lease fer what your fittin to spend on a weekend, ya could hunt fer 3-5 years on your own place..cook your own food, and guide your self...gl