Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How white tails relate to Hills/Valley's >

How white tails relate to Hills/Valley's

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How white tails relate to Hills/Valley's

Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Spike

Default How white tails relate to Hills/Valley's

Folks,
Been Hunting all my life until I got married and moved to a new location. Time and land has been a problem. This year this itch has burned pretty good and I worked hard and found some good land to hunt. I am only going to bow hunt because I figured that would be the best way to get permission in a heavily populated area.

I found a 350 acre plot that is down in a valley in Northen Kentucky. There are hundreds of acres surrounding the location. At the bottom of the valley is a large Rock bottom creek about 10~30 yards wide. There is some flat land on either side of the creek about 200 yards before the elevation starts to climb. I will be hunting somewhere between the creek and the tops of the valley.

I just got permission and have not scouted the area yet.

From the creek to the top of the valley is about 300 feet in elevation change. It is pretty heavy woods with several clearing's. (Power line stips etc...) At the tops of the valley's are general farms, corn and other fields. There is pretty heavy traffic on the outer boundries. But down in the valley (1.5 miles of woods to the interior) is very secluded. No houses...etc...etc.. Just too tough to access for development. There is a load of deer in the area.

My question, is how do Whitetail deer relate to the Hills vs the Valley's in general terms? I can't recall specifics, but it seems like I read that they like to stay in the mid level areas to keep escape options available. Also, there are some steep slopes (Real steep) and I would like to be able to eliminate these or understand the travel habits in these areas to help in setting up a stand.

Any general comments on this subject will be appreciated.