Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

handwarmers? Need Help...

Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Spike

Default handwarmers? Need Help...

Hi,

My name is Matthew Schuman and I am a senior at Carthage College in Kenosha, WI. I am currently working on a final project that entails writing a complete business plan for brining a patented object to market. My patent involves a heat storage material, and as I am an avid outdoorsman, I thought a new handwarmer would be fitting. The new handwarmer would last significantly longer than most on the market and is resusable.

I was just wondering if you could possibly answer some questions for me. First, do you use handwarmers, and if so how often? What do you like about them? What don’t you like about them? What is one thing you would change? If you don’t use them, why not? How long do you need them to last for?

If you could give me any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Responses to your questions.

1. Do you use handwarmers? YES.

2. How often? I USE THEM WHEN HUNTING AND HAND DON'T DO ALOT OF MOVING. THRUS LESS CIRCULATION LEADING TO COLD HANDS AND OTHER EXTREMETIES. I ALSO GIVE THEM TO MY KIDS FOR ACTIVITIES LIKE SLEDDING, SNOWBOARDING AND ICE SKATING.

3. What do you like about them? SMALL. PLENTY OF HEAT PROVIDED. INEXPENSIVE.

4. What don’t you like about them? NOTHING REALLY.

5. What is one thing you would change? LOWER COST?

6. If you don’t use them, why not? I DO USE THEM. AS WELL AS THE OTHER WARMER PACKS.

7. How long do you need them to last for? THE WARMERS I USE GENERALLY MEET MY TIME REQUIREMENTS.

The most popular/common hand warmers that are currently out there, the ones that are air activated and last like 12 hours are probobly the best thing going out there.

I can't see or think of any material that would store heat in any manner and release it in any sort of a contolled manner that would allow it to act as a hand warmer for even a few hours.

Even 3 or 4 ounces of alloy heated to thousands of degrees F. would be to ambient temperature in probobly less than a half an hour and something like that simply wouldn't be feasible without burning the skin.

Again I believe the air activated warmers which create heat over an extended period of time thru chemical reaction are going to be tops and around for a long time.

And of course there are the old warmers that you actually fill with lighter fluid and once lit they allow the element to heat the steel case. I think I actually have a couple of those out in the shed.

Good luck with your project and even though I probobly offer nothing of help to you I wish you much luck. Don't give up. Many a great inventor or mind ran head on into many brick walls before sometimes realizing something remarkable. Heck look how rubber was invented - unintentionally and purely by accident.

Last edited by uncle matt; 11-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have more problem with feet than hands, and I use the air-activated ones in the toe of my boots. If they could be made reusable, that would be great. I would probably use them more often. I would pay more initially for a warmer that could be re-used.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me anyway, to answer you better, it would help to know a little more about your warmer so people can make remarks to something similar they have used. There are many different kinds of handwarmers on the market. Some warm due to the fabric, chemical packs, battery packs, batteries, charcoal strips, windblock technology, metal in the lining, etc.

I have several sport muffs. The downside is that I don't normally need both hands in it at once, so I do wish for a muff that warms only 1 hand. I usually have one hand on the gun/bow or on the binoculars, while one is in the warmer.

Chemical warmers are sweet, but last too long, while I only really need them to last 3 1/2 to 4 hours, but for $1.09, they are still worth it.

Way too many questions left unanswered for me to comment much more. Can you give a little more details in which direction your warmers operate? Something. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

1. Yes i use them
2. only when it is cold enough that my under armour liner gloves dont do enough w/ my muff.
3. i like the fact that they can keep my hands warm when i need to draw my bow...
4. i guess the #1 thing is that sometimes the material bunches up and doesnt stay even through out the bag ya know? also i dont like that sometimes if they are in spots you cant move them around to get more air they dont feel like they are workin
5. i like handwarmers to last a day. so i can use put them in muff in AM and if i come in and decide to go back out they are still warm working in the PM
Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike

Default Reply

The material is called ammonium biacetate, and it is useful as a heat storage material because of a phase transition. As the material is heated, it changes from a solid to a liquid, which then allows it to give off heat as it return to a solid state. I am actually planning on building this material into gloves, hats, socks etc and then those would be microwaved for activation. Temperature would be around 65 degrees celsius, so very little material is needed. Obviously these would be more expensive than the air activated warmers, but would be infinitely reusable. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for all the responses as well, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Spike

Default Handwarmers

I believe that heating gloves, hats, socks etc to 65 degrees C or 149 degrees F might be a problem - potential for burning skin? How much heat would be transmitted through the covering?

In addition, since the device would retain this heat for a long time and over a wide swath of fabric, a burn or discomfort factor could occur. Putting an uncontrolled heat source in gloves, hats, socks etc. might be a problem. If you had some sort of variable heat emitting control that would be helpful.

Finally, one of the advantages of the small chemical handwarmers on the market today is that you can use them for short time to warm up, put away and then use later on and they are portable (change hands, pockets, hand or feet etc. and/or person to person) this would be difficult with some clothing items.

Lastly, I am sure not ll deer camps have microwave ovens to activate the chemical reaction.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

First, do you use handwarmers: Sometimes
and if so how often? Only when it's below about 40 degrees
What do you like about them? Heat source.
What don’t you like about them? Expense, one more thing to carry to the woods.
What is one thing you would change? Can't think of anything.
How long do you need them to last for? 12 hours

I've used the air-activated ones, they don't seem to get very warm, in my book. I use the ones that take liquid fuel, like lighter fluid, but contrary to the claims, they won't keep burning unless I expose them to air now and then, like pulling them out of my pocket and moving them around.