Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting beginner

Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Spike

Default Deer hunting beginner

I will start hunting next season and would like info on the 243 rifle. What's your opinion and thoughts about what someone could buy a used one for and if you even think it would work for deer hunting. Deer is the biggest animal I will be hunting. I've read up some on the net and am pretty confused so far. Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought another one just tonight. It is a Remington 700 ADL in .243. It's a versatile weapon. Some use it for predator hunting, mainly coyotes. It's a common whitetail deer caliber too. When I first started killing deer at long ranges, it was my first gun I used. Whitetails can be cleanly taken out to 400 yards and more. If one is strict to keeping to the "recommended" 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy to kill a deer, a 95gr. Remington Premier Accutip still retains almost a thousand pounds at 400 yards with the .243. It's a very good deer caliber and I think you will be very happy with it.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

A .243 is a great caliber for deer, if you get one, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Now go, and get a Savage rifle in 243.
You can get a new Savage, for about the same price of a used rifle.

JMHO
Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 243 is fine. Other good short action choices are 260 Remington, 7-08, 7x57, .308 Win. Can't go wrong with any of these, so if you go used, keep your options open.

I also like the new Savage rifles, they are a good and accurate rifle. They don't look the greatest (except their top of the line models), but deer don't care. The Stevens model is even less money.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Spike

Personally, I've had bad luck with Savage in terms of quality. May be poor luck as my dad and friends haven't had the same experiences with their older Savages. There are other inexpensive makers out there. The Marlin XL7 and XS7 have been getting great reviews.

I would also consider a 270. A little more range and would take larger game. I prefer versatility and range not only in yards but range of target selection. A gophers, pronghorn and deer will die with either one.

With all that said, any of the calibers mentioned are can't miss. I would base the selection of cost of rifle and availability and cost of ammo.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I have owned many Savage rifles in my life. Would buy another one in a heartbeat. Grew up with them and love them.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

I'm using a .243 this year. It's my dad's gun that he set me up with. I love it and will be buying it as soon as I scrape the money up. Wish he'd just give it to me but I can't be a spoiled brat forever!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Spike

Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.