Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When Do You Think Deer Drink Water? >

When Do You Think Deer Drink Water?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When Do You Think Deer Drink Water?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Update: New Info

I called a wildlife biologist today and discussed it briefly with him about my questions on deer and drinking.

I told him I know it's common for them to drink more when it's hot. I also said I know deer may be more inclined to frequent a water source during the day when there is security cover nearby.

While I knew deer receive some hydration foraging and browsing, the biologist put emphasis on that. So deer do get quite a bit of their water from the food they eat; more than I thought.

I asked about the biological reasons why or if a deer would need to drink at certain times. I also expressed there may be a reason due to the amount of food they eat through the night and was wondering about that. I told him after my dogs eat, they both drink a lot of water. I asked about if they like to drink shortly after getting up from their day beds or if they like to drink after they eat and just prior to bedding for the day.

If you want to know what he told me, please Private Message me and I can get your credit card details to process the $10 fee.

LOL! What he told me is that there is no evidence or studies that show deer have a set pattern of needing to drink for biological reasons. They drink when they need to and much of their water comes from food. He said the obvious too, and that is they drink more when it's warmer out. LOL!

Now you know the rest of the story!

iSnipe
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default is this a trick question?

when they are thirsty!

had a funny thing happen this year in Utah. We were archery elk hunting over a pond, the deer came in the morning and the elk in the evening. On another pond the deer came in the evening.

never saw deer in the morning drinking.

around here (Calif.) trail cams show it's all at night, 12-4 am
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

In terms of whitetails i haven't seen to many at a tank, but when the snows on the ground I have seen them take mouth fulls and licks. I believe they drink however because they like green foods also believe like others mentioned they get hydration from foods (when plants are still living).

Now mulie's I have seen at tanks, in fact locating such sources is of more importance when I'm hunting/scouting them. I believe part of this to be diet related as well as they inhabit sage/buck brush which isn't as lush as whitetails grounds.

Not scientific rather observation based.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Spike

Believe it or not, deer get a lot of 'water' from the food they eat, so sometimes they may not even need to go to an actual pond, lake, or river to get some H2O.

Also an FYI
when you shoot a deer they will run to water if there is some near. That is the quickest way for them to replace blood loss. There is a name for it, I forget now though.

Boog
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've seen them drink out of ponds and cattle tanks after legal shooting light.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

A couple of other thoughts ...

Most researchers feel that deer need about a half a gallon of water per day.

The drier the climate or season, the more important free-standing water becomes.

Generally speaking, in the arid areas of the west, free-standing water is important.

In the eastern US, deer rely more on plants for their water than free-standing water.

Droughts in the east force eastern deer to behave more like western deer.

The general thought is that deer must have a reliable source of water within a mile of their location to survive.

Last edited by Sling; 11-10-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Spike

Default Correct as stated

StraightArrow has it pegged exactly.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Site Buck Guru

I have a stand in some hilly country. I put the stand near a natural spring. Of the 5 times I've hunted it, 3 were evenings and 2 were mornings. I've seen 0 deer in the mornings and 5 deer in the evenings, all bucks. 4/5 bucks took a long drink of water. It seems that after resting up in the hills all day, that they like to come down in the evenings for a drink before they start their day.

Interesting question.