HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First MN Buck Down! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/309294-first-mn-buck-down.html)

James Vee 11-07-2009 10:40 AM

First MN Buck Down!

A first for me. Would love to share pictures and details but I got to get this thing cut up. 61 degrees here.

Shot at 730am, 10 points, 208 dressed. Pics and story to follow.

iSnipe 11-07-2009 10:48 AM

Congratulations! 61 degrees is warm weather for sure. It's 54° here now. I'm curiuos as to how that along with no snow will affect the hunter's success?

Anyway, look forward in seeing the pics when you have time. Whatever you do, DON'T ask people to guess the rack size because there are a few ***-***** here that don't like those types of questions. LOL!

iSnipe

Kris24 11-07-2009 12:56 PM

To !Snipe---LOL I love to guess at deer on the hoof, but if you have him on the ground just put a tape on him. Only makes sense to me.

James congrats on the buck. Look forward to the pics.

Ava 11-07-2009 01:27 PM

Congratulations!

I'm personally counting down the days til the first day for me!

23 days!!! I can NOT wait!

Originally Posted by iSnipe (Post 3498208)
Anyway, look forward in seeing the pics when you have time. Whatever you do, DON'T ask people to guess the rack size because there are a few ***-***** here that don't like those types of questions. LOL!

iSnipe

LMAO! I'll remember that when and "if" I get my very first buck! :D

PY Antlers 11-07-2009 02:34 PM

Did you hear much shooting around compaired to other years? Just wondering if the temps hindered the deer movement.

James Vee 11-07-2009 04:38 PM

Here's a couple of pictures. I didnt' take the time to set up and take pictures of myself. It was too warm, and I was too concerned with how I was going to get the buck out of the woods by myself.

It's 100 miles from my house. I left the house at 3:30 just to make sure I was in the stand in time. I got in the stand at 5:30am. Rattled at 6:00, 6:45 and then again at 7:30. On the third sequence I could hear a deer breaking all kind of sticks behind me and to my left but it never came out of the woods into the cutting. A few minutes later and this buck showed up, directly to my right. 50 yard shot with the .338 and I anchored him there. Thank goodness too! Like I said, not the highest scoring, but he dressed out at 208lbs. I had never hunted MN before. This was a new state and new area to me. I scouted it 3 weeks ago, hung a stand two weeks ago, and sat there for the first time this morning.

BigDaddy12t 11-07-2009 08:02 PM

Nothing wrong with that deer! Congrats! Where were you hunting at? I was hunting South East Mn. It was nasty hot today. I did hear alot of shots this morning, but nothing much this afternoon. We didnt see a deer all day.

WIbuckchaser 11-08-2009 08:48 AM

That's a pretty heavy rack though. I would have knocked him down too. Congrats on another fine buck.

wis_rifle_hunter 11-08-2009 11:24 AM

thats a great buck. congrats and nice job

sconnyhunter 11-08-2009 11:29 AM

There aint nothing wrong with that deer. That is as pretty a deer as i have seen. Congratulations.