Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many sight in at only 50 yards? >

How many sight in at only 50 yards?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many sight in at only 50 yards?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Spike

Default How many sight in at only 50 yards?

Depending on the weather and my mood, I use NE Ultra Slug or my Knight MK85 for deer hunting. When I pour over the online manufacture's articles, they always seems to suggest to sight in 2"-3" at 50 yards (or whatever based on their ballistics recommendations) for it to hit the bull at 100 yards. Reason being it avoids crosswind drifts better and prevents unneccessary scope adjustments that can occur when sighting in a 100 yards.

I've always suspected my sighting in issues was due to my crappy shooting rest but I just go a Bull's Bag and a Protektor rear bag - this setup looks rock solid! But back to my original question, how many concentrate on the 50 yard distance when sighting in? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have my ML sighted in dead on at 50 yards.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have access to a 100yrd range, then the 50yrd cheat will probably work well enough. However, be sure to chrono your bullets to make sure your muzzle velocity is matching up with the published data, otherwise your hold over won't be right. The best advice I'd give is to sight in at 50yrds, then shoot a couple test groups at 100yrds to confirm.

I honestly don't believe a hunter should only shoot at one distance when preparing for a season anyway. Zero your rifle in for whatever range you like, but take a few test groups at different distances to gauge your own ballistics curve. If I'm hunting an area I know I might be taking shots anywhere out to 300yrds, I'll zero at 150, then shoot test groups at every 50yrds from 50 to 350 (Only have to do this once for a particular recipe), then I build my own ballistics chart. If I'm in the brush and expecting 100yrd or less shots, I'll sight in at 75, then verify by shooting at 50 and 100. I write the table on a small piece of paper and tape it to the left side of my scope sticking out perpendicular so I can see it with my off eye even when I'm over my scope.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I was thinking along the same lines. I think about where I'm hunting and the shots I might take.Then sight in what i think.I know a lot of people who stay at 50yrds
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that with my particular choice of firearm, that 11\2 inc. high at 100 is about dead on at 250. So I never try a shot beyond that.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I've got a buddy that has worked as a gunsmith for decades. He had me sight in my 30.06 at 50 yards. I'll be on again at ~200-250 yards. Only maybe 2" high at 100 yards. And about that much low at 300. By sighting in at 50, I'm good to go (vitals at least) up to 300 yards.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

I do, only use a slug gun. I dont shoot at deer over 50 yards anyway. From my livingroom window to the end of my yard is 65 yards. All deer shot within that zone.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just wanted to give a tip that whatever distance someone chooses to sight in at, to make sure you know exactly where your bullet/slug is landing at the other distances. What will tell you this better than any ballistics program is to go out on the range and see for yourself. From this info you can create a chart that you can use for a reference when in the field.

iSnipe
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I often site in 1" high at 50 yds and find that I am dead on at 100. To me if you know how the gun shoots it doesn't matter whether it is at 50 or 100.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Champlain Islander,

What muzzleloader, powder and bullet/sabot are you using to sight in 1" high at 50 yards to have it dead on at 100 yards? That's incredible.

I don't muzzleload like the orig. poster, but what you're doing seems far more than I recall of the possibilities of muzzleloading.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.