Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anyone try the Hornady 300 gr SST sabot slug? >

Anyone try the Hornady 300 gr SST sabot slug?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone try the Hornady 300 gr SST sabot slug?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Anyone try the Hornady 300 gr SST sabot slug?

I'm not sure which forum to ask this in but I stumbled across the ballistics on these and they look rather impressive besides being reasonably priced. Anyone have any info on how they really shoot? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Spike

yes!!! they are the most impressive i ever bought..absolutly knocked a big giant 8 pointer to the ground from 65 yards..what a hole they leave!!!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

They are impressive like bigbuckkiller29 said. The only thing is you don't want to shot at a your game in the thick brush. The will deflect if they hit anything. Had it happen to me last year at one of the deer I took. That was a long search that could have been avoided had I known. Which I should have! Other deer that I took with them knocked them down in their tracks!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 word, DEVISTATION.. my buddy uses them and i tell you they are great..my gun dosnt shoot them to well so i stick to my Lightfeilds!

-BH818
Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

make sure your barrel has a 1:28" twist or they wont hit the broad side of a barn....
Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Spike

Thanks guys for the response and the tip on rifling. Per New England Arms my Ultra Slug gun has a 1:35" twist so the 2000 fps might be a bit much but I may try them anyway just to see. I found a place online that had 3" Lightfield Commander IDS that shoot awesome in my gun so I ordered 5 boxes. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Spike

I have shot a number of deer with them and they are accurate but they fail to leave a decent hole. The deer die but many seem to run farther than they should.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive been reading reviews and from what i can gather, they are typically very accurate in the right barrels, but many reported holes being small and tracking was difficult even on good shots...im looking for something that will anchor bear and deer...so im still searching...though i love hornady rifle rounds...