Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shot placement

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Spike

Default shot placement

heart? lungs? spine? neck? head? which is the best to aim for to bring it down with minimal tracking.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

CNS shot obviously. However the margin of error is smaller and so I always say a vitals shot is the best %. Deflate the lungs and you end the ability to live. I shot 2 mulie does this fall both double lungers neither made 30 yards..I'd say pretty minimal tracking.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has an opinion ,but you ask a dozen people you'll get a dozen different answers and each of them will be correct in the opinion of the person answering .
NO THANKS .
Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by halcon

...you ask a dozen people you'll get a dozen different answers....
That's justifiably hyperbolized, but the jist of it is correct.

In order to be factual, correct or be more than an opinion that is the right answer, you only need to side with my opinion. LOL!

I'm a hypocrite because I say one thing, yet do another... so with that said, I think it's best to hold out for the broadside double-lung shot. It's the largest target and very deadly with no major bones to contend with to hamper penetration.

However, with the selection offered, it is also the shot that is not minimal tracking. But if you can't follow a double-lung blood trail, better use a different caliber, bullet selection or get a bunch of people together to help you track.

================

Skeeter, don't you mean that a shot at the central nervous system offers a larger margin for error?

iSnipe
Old 11-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming we're talking firearms, my opinion is to shoot to break the offside shoulder. You can't do that with lightly constructed bullets, but most "deer" bullets will do it. If you are a good shot and have a good concept of deer anatomy, the high shoulder shot will drop them reliably.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the deer is realtively close, and undisturbed, I will opt for the neck shot.. There is no tracking. Further out or walking I will take out the lungs.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Assuming we're talking firearms, my opinion is to shoot to break the offside shoulder. You can't do that with lightly constructed bullets, but most "deer" bullets will do it. If you are a good shot and have a good concept of deer anatomy, the high shoulder shot will drop them reliably.
That's my buddy's preferred method too. He would rather mess up a shoulder and lose a little meat than risk not finding the deer. I prefer the double lung shot. I might get lucky and get the heart which will drop them straight down. I might have to track them a little, but I would rather not damage the meat as much. If they run at all, I wait at least 30 minutes before following to make sure they are down for good.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember heart and lungs and you cant go wrong.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Well..minimal tracking would definitely be a spine shot, however, its not an easy target. The heart is a smaller target but is also an effective shot and will hit it when you put a lung shot on an animal. The femoral artery also is a extremely quick kill shot on whitetails, they will go down just as fast as a lung shot more often than not. BUT it is also a tough target to hit consistantly, I've gotten lucky after flinching and somehow caught that artery on what i thought was a high gut shot. Shooting for the lungs is by far the easiest target IMO with whitetails, it can depend on angle, distance, and other factors such as this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.