Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

270 Hornday SST vs Deer

Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default 270 Hornday SST vs Deer

Does anybody have any first hand experience with the Hornady SST in 270? My Weatherby Ultralight shoots MOA or better with them and I was thinking about using them on my annual West Virginia whitetail hunt. I think they would be fine, but I am a little concerned over a close range shoulder shot.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

One of my Rem 700s in .270 love the ammunition right out of the box. I'm loving it. 1" moa. Hitting a 1 1/4" dot multiple times @ 100yds with ammo right out of the box is about what a guy could hope for in a deer weapon. A great confidence builder as well.

And Yes, have experience giving deer dirt naps with it. It's good ammunition. I've taken straight on shots just above the heart, broadside through the lungs and high shoulder to drop them, all with good success.(of course, it's a .270) Good penetration, bullet expansion and internal damage.

As long as I get the accuracy I'm looking for, I'm sticking with them.

iSnipe
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

With wby velocity at close range with the SST, the shoulder wouldn't be my first choice. Reason being I used 130gr SST out of my 270 win on mature whitetails buck where I hit flush shoulder at around 100 yards, it busted the onside wheel but penetration was limited. In fact I only disturbed one lung, which resulted in a longer track then I'd like...I bumped him and came back later to retrieve him. I'd suggest trying the Hornady IB instead, it will hold together better while still making a nice wound channel on a rib shots. I can shoot them dang near interchangeable in a couple of guns with same weight bullets.
Good Luck

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 11-03-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Skeeter,

Why were you aiming at the flush shoulder? What were your intentions?

iSnipe
Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I agree that the SST is a great shooting bullet, especially at longer ranges, but I would not trust it on a up close shoulder shot. You would be better off with more of a hunting bullet for that type of shot.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I havn't been able to find a single box of BTSP Hornady's around here for over almost 2 years, luckily I have a few boxes bought up. I'm thinking about trying the SST's just in case, could always shoot a few does with them.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find Federal premium Nosler partition then forget about the Hornady, I being using Federal premium since 1981, have not lost 1 deer or gone more than 7 yrds to find it.

I heard about the core lock being about the same, but why change ?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are concerned about a shoulder shot don't take it put it in the lungs and your gold with the sst. Also dispite what AJstrider said the sst is a hunting bullet and great for deer.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

i have first hand experience with the .270win and .308win SST's. they shoot well, but they are definitely destructive at close range. the longest shot i've taken with this bullet was only 65 yards. with most shots being within half of that distance. it's been my experience that they really fragment at close range. especially when they hit the shoulders. also, i've had experiences where the jacket and core seperated completely. but, i've only had one deer go more than a few feet. so the bullet did its job, it killed deer. you have to remember that balistic tip bullets were designed to expand at long range when the velocity of the bullet has dropped. the copper jacket at the nose of the bullet is thinner than a standard jacketed soft point bullet. which helps them expand reliably at long range lower velocities. in turn, they expand easily and violently at close range high velocities.

this year i've switched to the new Winchester power max bonded ammo for one of my .270's. becuase most of my shots have been at close range i wanted a bullet that has a better chance of staying together. so far i've only had one experience with the bullet. so far so good. hopefully i'll have more good news after this weekend.

if you can, try to avoid shoulder hits at close range if you don't like a lot of blood shot meat. which i'm sure you don't.

good luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Skeeter,

Why were you aiming at the flush shoulder? What were your intentions?

iSnipe
I was shooting off hand and got rattled a touch pulling the shot right into his shoulder. It was shooter error no doubt, however the man did ask about the sst, 270 and shoulder shots...that was my experience with all 3.

A pic of the buck that rattled me.
Attached Thumbnails 270 Hornday SST vs Deer-buck-mount.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.