Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
grunting..rattling..and bleating >

grunting..rattling..and bleating

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

grunting..rattling..and bleating

Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Spike

Default grunting..rattling..and bleating

im just curious as to how many of you use a grunt tube or a bleat can or a set of rattling horns or a decoy during deer season..also what has been your personal expiriences while useing them..i have used all of it for a long time and im firmly convinced that if the time is not right..or the weather is warm..they are not as effective..any feedback would be appreciated...big buck killer29
Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use all of them and believe firmly in them. I agree weather and timing has alot to do with the effectiveness of the calls but I use some calls all season long with success. I've grunted deer in at all times of year. Rattling is definitely way more effective at the right time of year.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I use everything with success except the decoy. All my rattling is with a rattle bag now. Works well for me and way easier than carrying a set of sheds around. Important for me to eliminate the down wind side via a large field or pond so they can't detect me before I see them.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I never see a thing But I hunt crowded state land, So I just go silent now. I figure if everyone there is calling and or rattling they are going to get wise. there can't be that many deer there to where they would be fooled by calling from so many people ?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Spike

early season and the rut I definitely think can calling ups your chances of bringing in a deer. Towards the late season public land deer are really skittish and I usually just stay quiet or limit my blind calling.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Spike

i kill a giant every year on public land
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbuckkiller29
i kill a giant every year on public land
Originally Posted by bigbuckkiller29
i have used all of it for a long time and im firmly convinced that if the time is not right..or the weather is warm..they are not as effective..any feedback would be appreciated...big buck killer29
So, why are you asking for feedback if you have that kind of success?
Personally, I have read and found from experience, that deer are
Visual,audio,and nasal.Meaning that if you tempt all of their senses the better chance of seeing them around because they are also communal ( they like to be around other deer).
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use all of them and at the right time they work.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

i have had bucks come from 400yds away in open country to rattlin and grunt tubes. the can was unbelievable for me a few years back. the first year i had one almost every deer i saw came right in with the can. i could let them get close and wait til they wandered off and call them back 90% of the time. but in the last 2 seasons i have not had much luck useing it,i can't understand why it worked great then but not now. under the right conditions they all will work.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by srwshooter
i have had bucks come from 400yds away in open country to rattlin and grunt tubes. the can was unbelievable for me a few years back. the first year i had one almost every deer i saw came right in with the can. i could let them get close and wait til they wandered off and call them back 90% of the time. but in the last 2 seasons i have not had much luck useing it,i can't understand why it worked great then but not now. under the right conditions they all will work.
Educated perhaps? Game does get call shy or aware, especially if the same tone and duration are heard over and over again. The can is such a call.

Personally I call with my voicebox, find it's easier to vary my sounds that way. I don't bleat. My deer calls are mostly; contact grunts & in the rut stages tending or huffing grunts. I use fawn bawls as well to buy time or shot opportunities.

Rattling/raking/scrapping can be extremely effective, especially if your in good tranistion areas (safety) or near bucks bedrooms. In the open areas I'd say my success is dwarfed by 75%. I rattle between 11-3 near the rut stage, early morn and evening I go quiet.

I don't use a decoy anymore, just never worked very well.

Scents only to cover my backdoor, cover basically not as the main attractant.

When it comes to the rut I realize I'll never be able to pull a male off a hot female. However I may be able to pull her or other males who are in between girlfriends. Basically it doesn't work 100% of the time but I keep trying. When I pick a location to call I stick with it unless the wind become unfavorable. I have had game come running at the start and also had game come nearing the end. You never know when you'll get a favorable response. Patience and persistance are key.

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 11-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.