Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Close Encounter on the ground

Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Spike

Cool Close Encounter on the ground

I'm Bowhunting some new property this year. It's approx 250 acres with about two thirds in beans and corn. A narrow creek bed borders the east side with very little timber. So little in fact that when I was scouting, I walked in about ten yards and up a small levee. Immediately spooking two does. After that I just walked the field edge looking for trails & sign. I came back about a week later and sat on a bucket on the lower end of the field to scout/hunt whatever came out that evening. Nothing came.

A week passed, weather and schedule afforded another opportunity. I went again. This time I went where I had jumped those does. I used the wind to my advantage and settled in by the best two trees I could find.

I was expecting those does to show but was met with a pleasant surprise.

When I first saw the eight pointer I was turned around to investigate some noisy sycamore leaves falling to the ground. I heard that old familiar crack. My eyes snapped in that diirection and there he was -- 15 yds--.
I wondered if I was busted but I just sat still. Just camo & face mask, no netting, no blind. Just me, the natural cover and that buck.

He never had a clue I was there. He walked up broadside, slightly to my left and less than three yards from me! I imagined him cutting me up with those hooves if he should venture two steps closer and put his nose to my knee.

He circled around the tree and stopped at the field edge. I tried to draw on him. I think he heard me. He got nervous and trotted about thirty yards away. He stood there for a moment or two, acting like he was curious. Then he turned around and walked back past me broadside and in range.
What a shame that my broadhead was catching on some of that brush that I was using for cover. (I wish I'd done some trimming.)
I did all I could to reposition for another shot. I couldn't pull it off though. He caught the movement (probably my scent too) and began loping away like only a spooked buck can do.

But man!!! WHAT A THRILL to be that close!!!

I want to get a stand in there but since the timber is so narrow I'm afraid of spooking the deer off. I would, however love to take a deer from the ground.

A thrilling experience...a great memory.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Spike

I had something like that happen to me 2 seasons ago rifle hunting.

I was in a circle cut out in the woods, about 30 yards across in all directions, I was sitting to the southeast corner of the circle just on the inside edge of the woods, I had my rifle sitting across my lap and was sitting on an old stump. This small framed 6 pointer came out about 5 yards to my right out of the woods, I could not draw my weapon as he saw me as soon as he stepped out, we sat their eye to eye for a good 5 minutes, I made no movement and even limited my breathing. My heart was thumping like crazy. To my amazement he just looked at me as I stared at him, after the stare down was over he just turned around and headed back into the woods.

That was an experience that sent chills down my back. Needless to say I set up a ground blind 5 yards into the woods on my future hunts in that area.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could add a cool story here, but this is about you, not me. LOL!

Congratulations on being that close to a deer. If you're out there long enough, conditions are right and you're doing your thing, it does and can happen! 3 yards is fun...exhilarating!

Now that you realize there's great potential in hunting from the ground, next time you can be better prepared by pre-thinking and making some good ambush spots.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 11-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that sounds exciting! Good luck, hopefully you can get another crack at him.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

That thrill is exactly why I do most of my hunting on the ground!