Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cheap camo netting?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Cheap camo netting?

I am working on some ladder stands in the area I hunt, getting ready for the season. Most of them are pretty big, two-man stands, with a 3' bench seat and bars/stanchions all around. I want to replace some of the camo material that is being used.

Online, I have found some camo netting that is about $20 for a 5.5' by 12' sheet, which would likely cover maybe two stands - not too bad, but I am thinking that there must be a source to buy this stuff in bulk. Maybe burlap and some spray cans would be a cheap way to go.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try Walmart they have it for around $10. I bought a couple last year at close out for $5 each. I prefer the burlap style camo as because the leaf cutout style snags on you and rips when getting in the stand.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
Try Walmart they have it for around $10. I bought a couple last year at close out for $5 each. I prefer the burlap style camo as because the leaf cutout style snags on you and rips when getting in the stand.
x2 ... got mine from Walmart also at about the same price.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I also used the stuff from WalMart except I used the Leaf cut out style. I've also used the camo mesh. Both of these I used on 2 man ladder stands. It helps out alot hiding your movement as I have a bad back and get real sore sitting for a period of time and have to move around some.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

another for the 10$ walmart Burlap.....

it works great on my stand
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd never use burlap again unless I had my stand preset for a very long time.

One evening's hunt put me in a well used travel corridor. I was hunting an individual buck. I snuck in there early and used a blind I made from burlap and dowel sticks. It looked good when I brushed it in. Long story shot, whatever was coming started to blow 50 yards away in the woods. It smelled the burlap. The stuff stinks and that's because the chemical on it helps preserve the burlap or it would break down and rot too fast.

Whenever I walk into a fleet store around here, they always have the regular camo netting. I would use that before burlap.

Anyway, if the deer are smelling the burlap, they're smelling you too. LOL! Check your local fleet or hardware stores. Around here it was sold by the foot and it was quite reasonable.

iSnipe
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

i aint sure what it will cost ya and ya prolly have ta wait til next year, but a good natural ivey, honey suckle or sumthin native to your area and let it grow up your ladder stand
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

You could also try Academy Sports. However I always try the Army\Navy Surplus Stores or eBay. Surplus netting has worked well for me.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

The burlap won't last but a year or so. Go to www.sportsmansguide.com and search camo netting. They have a lot of military surplus sizes and the prices aren't too bad.