Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you deal with it

Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

As long as I'm seeing Deer, I can sit all day. 4 hours is about all I can do on stand without Deer activity. When I get bored I get down and still/sneak hunt. Tree stand hunting is far too effective to not do at all, but I prefer to get on the ground and hunt Deer on their own terms. Any Deer you can take down on their own level is a trophy, especially with a bow. I never get bored when I'm sneak hunting.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BurdBuster
Well I have successfully eliminated two states off my list of States I Might Want To Live In Someday

Then again, liquor stores aren't open here on Sundays.

Why don't they allow hunting on Sundays? As a way to extend the season without increasing the number of days huntable? If so, why not a Wednesday or something?

Or is it just a an old law that has never been changed?
Virginia has no Sunday hunting either, so scratch another off the list
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by popeye2
Virginia has no Sunday hunting either, so scratch another off the list
Oofta.

I'm thinking Colorado or Wyoming anyways.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm in North Carolina and there is no hunting on Sundays. There were a bunch of changes voted down this year and one of them was to allow Sunday bow hunting on private land. I think the law is very old and it was put in place so the people in church would not hear gun shots while in Sunday Service. There is a church on every corner around here. The odd thing is you can target shoot all ya want on Sunday. I get around it by working on the weekends and hunting mainly during the week, I rarely hunt Saturdays as well.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't they allow hunting on Sundays? As a way to extend the season without increasing the number of days huntable?
No. Old blue laws. Funny, they legalized gambling and now the liquor stores are open on Sundays. But still no hunting on Sundays.

The reason why they don't change them, as told to me by the game commission is as follows: A lot of land owners leave their land open to public hunting through a co-op with the game commission. These folks want a day without hunters on their land. They're afraid that, if they allow Sunday hunting. these guys will post their land.

We hunt private land and it makes no sense why I can't hunt on my own land whenever I want. But, whatever. Rules are rules.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

when I get bored - usually tired? - I snooze in the stand. Just drift. Woke up a couple weeks ago to see doe walking away.

This morning after a couple hours I got down and did some scounting.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Spike

I've fallen a sleep waaaaay too many times....scarey to think how many deer I would have missed during those moments.

I text message people and surf the internet on my phone now....

I saw a few people mention books and i think that would like a GREAT idea....for some reasons I hadn't ever thought of that.....and I was just complaining to myself the other day that I never had time to read anymore. Perfect
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

i really dont get that bored, because im always wondering what will happen in the next minute... so im usually occupied with that.... i spot and stalk more than i stand hunt
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

The best thing for boredom in the stand is the iphone. It is by far the best piece of technology that I ever got. It is a real assest to me with my job and my personal life. Believe me, get one, and you will not be dissapointed.

KC