HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how do you deal with it (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/308261-how-do-you-deal.html)

zaboo 10-28-2009 08:09 PM

how do you deal with it

your on the deerstand and its cold and you havent even see a bird not to mention a deer since you been sittin. and dont give me that i dont get bored on the deer stand junk cause thats a lie. what do you guys do to keep you sanity while waiting the lonely hours.

itsslow98 10-28-2009 08:13 PM

i will prolly catch hell but i take my ipod touch in the stand and put one ear bud in as low as i can but still hear it and it helps pass the time. there is no way the deer can hear it and it keeps you occupied, plus if its real bad i have a few games on there lol. its usually about 3-4 hrs int he stand before i strat

iSnipe 10-28-2009 08:14 PM

It helps to really love the outdoors and hunting. Being a weekend warrior will never cut it being out there that long. Doing your scouting will reveal a lot about the area you are hunting and if you do it right, you should be where you think the bucks will be, thus your confidence level will rise. This in turn keeps your attention longer to what you are doing.

I don't get bored on stand. LOL!

iSnipe

zaboo 10-28-2009 08:18 PM

come o isnipe we 're all weekend warriors. our job is what funds our passion. im a wildlife biology major at lsu so i love the outdoors and what im doing when deer hunting but i still get bored from time to time and i know you guys do to

Southern Buck 10-28-2009 08:23 PM

I think of what else I could be doing :s1:

drockw 10-28-2009 09:22 PM

I play games on my phone, and recently took my gf with me, and played on her iphone. Im getting one for xmas, and I promise ill be on it every time from now on lol! Those things are just awesome for boredom lol.

iSnipe 10-28-2009 09:42 PM

I'm not a weekend warrior. I'm self-employed and spend many hours out there all year long. Often I'll give myself a mini-vacation and escape to the woods. LOL! I just like being out there. It gives me clarity in thought, enjoyment of nature's sights, along with rashes, mosquito bites, ticks and welts when I blunder into a hornet's nest. LOL! Most of what I do to stay motivated is to realize the sign I set up on was made by a huge buck and could come out at any moment.

If you want to read more on what people do to stay out there all day long, I had a similar post which received a lot of replies. Check it out after you get some replies here.

As for a tip, I said what helps me the most. I do think of many things while on stand, so that helps to pass the time. I've yet to take anything electronical to help me and have not taken any reading materials, puzzles, etc, to pass the time. Doesn't mean I won't in the future, but for now, I manage to get by. Oh, what helps me I guess is to use my binoculars. It helps me "be in the game" and keeps me pro-active. Having quality optics really help to spot game in the thickets and afar.

iSnipe

huntingking01 10-28-2009 09:49 PM

i have to agree with isnipe if you love it and really want to be there will all your heart then you dont get bored because your constantly learning and being aware is the biggest past time there is can it be boring ya sometime but so can anything if you thing about it driveing for 6 hours is worse to me then sitting in stand for 6 hours but each to own

wis_bow_huntr 10-29-2009 02:47 AM

I dont really get bored because im always looking around, watching the ninja squirells run around, watching the chickadees fly around and land on my arrow or bow, taking it all in as thats what its there for. I do sometimes get very discouraged as I have lately. I know the deer are there but im not seeing as many as I have in the past. I used to be able to sit one sitting for 2-3 hours it was nothing to see 20-40 deer a nite. Now im lucky to see 2-4 deer a day. Its sad what the Wisconsin DNR has done to our deer hunting.

longhunter 66 10-29-2009 03:13 AM

I send jokes to my family and freinds on the cell phone and read a good western book.