Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Barometer Question

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Barometer Question

Guys, I have a problem understanding the barometer deal. Does it really get the deer moving?? And if so when is it that they move? Can someone clear that up for me? Also...is there a website on the internet where i can get a barometer reading for my specific area or should i just go out and buy a barometer???
Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just watch the weather or pull up Yahoo weather...

A falling barometer is what you want, this is when a front is approaching...

Of course, this time of year, the rut is kicking in so I'm in the woods as much as possible..
Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe most animals react to changes in barometric pressure. This is especially true when the pressure is falling, which usually indicates a big change in the weather. If it's a sunny, pleasant day, the barometric pressure will be high. When a storm begins to move in, the pressure will always drop. Most animals, especially deer, realize this and will begin to feed more often before the storm arrives.

Conversly, when the storm moves out, the pressure will again rise. Changes in pressure again will usually increase deer activity.
I have found the best time to be in the woods is immediately after a storm, either heavy rain or snow. As the storm moves out and the barometric pressure again begins to rise, deer that have been bedded during that nasty weather will be on the move again. Feed will usually be their highest priority.

Hope this helps. Just my .02
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am trying to keep detailed notes on a few things this year and the Barometer reading is one of them...

Along with moon phase and all that other blah-blah-blah that people seem to have the need to write about that I can't seem to have any luck with. I'm trying to create a log for "NH" and not base my hunting off a corn or soybean field out in the mid-west that is completely obtuse from my "wooded" area of the globe. Something more realistic for Northern New England deer herd....

From what I read the feeding activity is most prominent when the reading is either rising or falling and in between 29.8 and 30.29 pressure.

We will see if the "experts" are correct???
I just keep telling myself that the only thing predictable about deer hunting is that DEER ARE UNPREDICTABLE!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Ed...it will be interesting to see your results. I care little about the moon phase and the barometer. That's only because I hunt whenever I can and do not let moon phase, etc influence when I go out. Although I fully expect to shoot a deer every time I hunt, there are times in different weather conditions when I feel my chances may increase.

I wish you good luck hunting in our beautiful state of NH. I will be heading to camp Fri evening to get ready for opening of our M/L season. Again good luck buddy!!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

The change in barometric pressure greatly effects deer movement. It triggers a sense in deer the need to feed due to a coming weather change. A falling barometer means a stormfront is coming. The barometer then stays low as the stormfront is present. As the stormfront moves out the barometer rises until the front has passed and levels out at a steady high barometer-meaning nice weather. The best time to hunt is the falling barometer because animals feel the need to feed before the storm. The next best time is when the barometer starts to rise signifying the stormfront has passed, again triggering deer to get up and feed. A steady high barometer is the next followed lastly by a steady low meaning the middle of the storm. I am a big believer in hunting by barometer movement. You can bet when the barometer is about to fall i will be hunting!!
just thought id paste my answer i gave from the last deer/barom. quuestion that was asked on here. hope this helps ya!!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tim03b
Guys, I have a problem understanding the barometer deal. Does it really get the deer moving?? And if so when is it that they move? Can someone clear that up for me? Also...is there a website on the internet where i can get a barometer reading for my specific area or should i just go out and buy a barometer???
Call your local weather station and ask to speak to a meteorologist!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've seen over the years the closer it gets to the rut the greater the factors such as the drop of atmospheric pressure. But the early post hits it on the mark by saying "deer are unpredictable".
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

They definitely respond to barometric changes that signal a weather change. For local conditions go to www.weather.com and type your zip code into the search feature. It will, among other things, give you the barometric reading and whether it rising, falling or steady.