HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   head shot/ethics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/307911-head-shot-ethics.html)

fingerz42 10-26-2009 01:06 PM

With your limited experience, if you believe 3 or 4 times means EVERYTIME, then you need to spend more time in the woods. Keep shooting necks and you'll find out where it gets ya kid.

Got to love how tough people can act sitting behind a computer screen eating a twinky. You're probably late for school junior.

skb2706 10-26-2009 01:16 PM

As my old buddy used to say "theres all kinda wounded but only one kinda dead". Wounding a game animal regardless of where you wound it is still "unethical" by definition. Learn to shoot well enough to kill every time.

I don't take headshots not because I can't hit them, not because I think they are unethical, I don't do it because it makes for a pretty ugly presentation.

Unless you can type faster than you can think I believe that any forum member has the time to think of something more intelligant to post than name calling and personal attacks. Just a thought.

kyhunter93 10-26-2009 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by fingerz42 (Post 3484906)
With your limited experience, if you believe 3 or 4 times means EVERYTIME, then you need to spend more time in the woods. Keep shooting necks and you'll find out where it gets ya kid.

Got to love how tough people can act sitting behind a computer screen eating a twinky. You're probably late for school junior.

school got out 2 and a half hours ago.. just sayin.

nromaker 10-26-2009 01:53 PM

Maybe when I get (1394)posts i can graduate. Gee that would be swell. Till then i will not waste my thoughts as it isnt worth it.

DannyD 10-26-2009 02:04 PM

[quote=skb2706;3484918]As my old buddy used to say "theres all kinda wounded but only one kinda dead". Wounding a game animal regardless of where you wound it is still "unethical" by definition. Learn to shoot well enough to kill every time.

quote]

Horse Poop!!!
Someone who practices with a gun or bow and misses exactly where they aim when it comes time to shoot at an animal is unethical?
There is a world of difference between making a mistake, (pulling the shot, misjudging distance, misreading the wind, not seeing the twig) and trying to make a headshot at 400 yards when you know you can't hit a pie plate at 100.

iSnipe 10-26-2009 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by skb2706 (Post 3484918)
Wounding a game animal regardless of where you wound it is still "unethical" by definition.

My BS meter just went off.

iSnipe

driftrider 10-26-2009 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by iSnipe (Post 3485004)
My BS meter just went off.

iSnipe

Yeah. I don't care how good you are, or how much you practice, anyone can blow a shot. It happens. The trick is to do whatever possible to minimize the chances that a bad shot will happen, but the only way to totally eliminate the possibility of a poor shot is to never shoot.

Mike

zrexpilot 10-26-2009 02:44 PM

well I cant remember all of them I have killed in the past 25 years but I can remember the last 5.
In the last 5 years I have used a .22 hornet on deer and hogs and have killed 22 to date with it, I shot them all in the neck or head. and yes every single one dropped and never took a step.
25 years I been doing this and I know where it gets me, a trip to the super market for more freezer paper.

halfbakedi420 10-26-2009 03:19 PM

i heard a story the other day on here where a guy drove by a deer that had an arrow sticking outta its face

i have a hog skull that had a broadhead it it and the bone healed back and the hog survived with it in there fer long enough to heal b4 my trap door slammed behind him.

my step dad took a shot at a does head and he came back with the deers lower jaw..

i have shot a deer in the head at 251 yards, dropped like a rock...this will stir sum chit up..with a .223 imagine that

i shot 5 hogs in the head with my glock at point blank range..they all died..and fast too

i shot 2 hogs in the head in june at over 300 yards and 1 was walkin..i had ta use 5 shots but thats ok cause bullets are cheap and i had a good time..meats, whats left, is all in the freezer.

usually im a boiler roomer..but either way is fine

deer slayer Jr. 10-26-2009 03:47 PM

Put it this way, if you had to put your dog down because of a bad injury, would you shoot him behind the shoulder ?
nuff said ![/quote]

Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer

fingerz42 10-26-2009 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by deer slayer Jr. (Post 3485090)
Put it this way, if you had to put your dog down because of a bad injury, would you shoot him behind the shoulder ?
nuff said !

Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer[/quote]

Would you shoot him from 70 yards?

Hoyt_shooter02 10-26-2009 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by deer slayer Jr. (Post 3485090)
nuff said !

Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer[/QUOTE]

Well kinda......if I had to shoot my dog to put him down, it would be point blank, not at 50, 100, 500, 600 yards. I get your point, but I think it's kind of apples and oranges.
JC-

Hoyt_shooter02 10-26-2009 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by iSnipe (Post 3484455)
Most people taking head shots haven't "had too" either. It's more about the latter of your words.

================

Hoyt_shooter -... please. LOL!

OBVIOUSLY the guy who said he was a marine sniper who allegedly wounded all those deer is either lying he was or the person who said that about him is misinformed; possibly stretching the truth. Hmm?

Most shot techs who are formerly trained don't mention their credentials for a variety of reasons; one being they know there's no real need to.

iSnipe

Well iSnipe, I'm just trying to be diplomatic, not judgmental, but to be honest, I think a 600 yard shot might be a stretch, but I'll never know. I mean, c'mon, 600 yards is a little over 3 tenths of a mile, and to hit a target the size large grapefruit, that's tough. I sure as hell can't do it. I might could do it 1 out of 5 or 6 tries, with a spotter, solid rest, and a kick a$$ scope. But...who knows, I watched my grandfather, a retired marine, hit 5/6 coke cans with his 1911 Colt 45 at 50 yards. I would of never believed it if I didn't see it myself. He later admitted it was a bit of luck, but 5/6 aint to shabby at all. Good luck this season.
John-

zrexpilot 10-26-2009 04:42 PM

Well kinda......if I had to shoot my dog to put him down, it would be point blank, not at 50, 100, 500, 600 yards. I get your point, but I think it's kind of apples and oranges.
JC-

Thats fine, your confident level on head shots is point blank range, mines much further.

Beezer 10-26-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by fingerz42 (Post 3485136)
Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer

Would you shoot him from 70 yards?[/quote]

If he's rabid I would.

deer slayer Jr. 10-26-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by zrexpilot (Post 3484398)
I have a friend that supposably was a sniper in the Marines. He wounds more animals than anyone I know.

First of all it is Supposedly, not supposably, second, that is the key word...Supposedly was a Marine Corps Sniper. One shot one Kill is the motto Marine Corps Snipers do not miss. Marine Corps snipers make the best shot possible, and will not take a shot they cant make with 100% certainty. In the field that can get you killed not to mention failing the mission objective....IDK which would be worse.

skeeter 7MM 10-26-2009 05:37 PM

I don't take neck or head shots, not because I can't but because I choose not too. Vitals in the path or nothing for me. I honestly could care less about saving a little meat vs losing a deer. My absolute favorite shot is a 1/4 away where I take out the opposite shoulder..after i take out the lungs of course:cool2:.

This is one debate that will never see an end...:sign0004:

Hoyt_shooter02 10-26-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by zrexpilot (Post 3485159)
Thats fine, your confident level on head shots is point blank range, mines much further.

I believe it, and and it seems you are proud of it. Since it works for you, I would keep doing it, but I believe for the average shooter they would be better served sticking with the higher percentage shots. Or, maybe I am just sub average shooter. I shoot app. 1.5" groups consistently at 100 yards, but that's me. This "argument" people are having is like the classic, "which caliber is better for deer?" It's all about shot placement, confidence and proficiency with your weapon. Best of luck this season.
JC-

djdkman 10-26-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by zrexpilot (Post 3484398)
So you got a ribbon for accuracy back when you were in basic training, whoopty doo.
Unless your TACP or Combat Controll you havent handled an M4 since basic training, expert.
What is it you do in the AF.
I have a friend that supposably was a sniper in the Marines. He wounds more animals than anyone I know.
I hunted some bases here in town, we had one dufus shoot at noises in the woods. Was that you.

nope..i shoot every 6 months because i deploy every 6 months...and i shoot expert wearing a gas mask in both handgun and rifle...

you are forever a douch bag.

deer slayer Jr. 10-26-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by djdkman (Post 3485271)
nope..i shoot every 6 months because i deploy every 6 months...and i shoot expert wearing a gas mask in both handgun and rifle...

you are forever a douch bag.

HAHA LMFAO!!! Atta Boy HOOORAH! Nice work

deer slayer Jr. 10-26-2009 06:34 PM

By the way zrexpilot, DJ if im not mistaken is a Master Sergeant, show some respect

zrexpilot 10-26-2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by deer slayer Jr. (Post 3485353)
By the way zrexpilot, DJ if im not mistaken is a Master Sergeant, show some respect

respect is earned , he didnt earn it by calling me retarded

deer slayer Jr. 10-26-2009 07:25 PM

Well if it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and barks like a dog, it should be called a dog

djdkman 10-26-2009 07:53 PM

Just to clarify why I did mention handgun....we aim at the head...2 tap chest, one tap head. M4, 200M target looks like a black golf ball---now put on a gas mask and hit it.....20 times from 3 positions....in 30 seconds.

and finally,

I didnt call YOU a retard...I called YOU a DOUCH BAG...and you DID earn that.

zrexpilot 10-26-2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by djdkman (Post 3485439)
Just to clarify why I did mention handgun....we aim at the head...2 tap chest, one tap head. M4, 200M target looks like a black golf ball---now put on a gas mask and hit it.....20 times from 3 positions....in 30 seconds.

and finally,

I didnt call YOU a retard...I called YOU a DOUCH BAG...and you DID earn that.

Originally Posted by djdkman (Post 3484280)
:rant:
I hate retards that assume because someone says they don’t believe in something...its automatic they believe that way because they "cant"...I am a military expert in both rifle and handgun and shoot ALOT...that being said, I still would take a double lung/heart shot over a head/neck...but if it gets you off knowing you can blow the head off your quarry confidently then for it....hunt your own way. But MY ethics say no to head shots...the original post was posed as a question.

Just to clarify.
You shoot 25 meters at a man size target shrunk to simulate the size of a man at 100 , 200 and 300 meters.
heck my kid could do that. oh wait he did.
My son does have expert ribbons in the Air Force

djdkman 10-26-2009 08:34 PM

He's a good shot too then.

zrexpilot 10-26-2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by djdkman (Post 3485468)
He's a good shot too then.

He learned from his douce bag retarded dad.

fastetti 10-26-2009 09:08 PM

Do we have to go over this topic every 6 months? It seems like it never ends. All that ever happens is 2 people eventually keep the thread going by b**tching at each other. Will the Mods would just ban any topic that has anything to do with headshots? Im sure a lot of the people who have been on this site for more than a year would really appreciate it.

turkey guide 10-26-2009 09:13 PM

I've never shot one in the neck, but trained my daughter to do so with her first deer rifle, a 223 AR-15 that I built for her. I did this on advice of others who only use 223 single shots. Never have seen one missed or wounded, but have seen many killed on the spot with this shot. My daughter was 8 when she took her first deer on her first hunt at first light, when two bucks began sparring in front of her. I put the 223 in her hands mainly because of her size and recoil worries and she did quite well with it for years. With her new AR-10 in 308 she has been trained to shoot broadside, into the chest from the front and right up the rear exit, another shot that has devastating and immediate results with little or no meat loss. Even though I'm confident that she could take a head shot, she is an antler hunter and doesn't shoot doe's usually. She is 18 now.
And yes it's legal to use any centerfire cartridge here, rifle, pistol, or revolver with any expanding type bullets commonly used for game, no FMJ's, no more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined. No full auto's of coarse.
I'm not sure why people get upset over someone elses business, or why they would try and start something here, but again if it's legal and it works for you, you're the only one who has to live with it. If it makes you uncomfortable don't do it if it makes you happy kill em any way the law allows.

djdkman 10-26-2009 10:10 PM

Actually, the AF Combat Arms Instructor did.

Admitting you are a retard-douch bag is the first step to recovery, good job.

djdkman 10-26-2009 10:16 PM

I just thought of a HEAD SHOT condition we should all be able to agree on: Head shots are completely ethical and encouraged on Somali pirates and all terrorists.

Hoyt_shooter02 10-27-2009 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by djdkman (Post 3485513)
I just thought of a HEAD SHOT condition we should all be able to agree on: Head shots are completely ethical and encouraged on Somali pirates and all terrorists.

That is probably the most lucid and accurate post on this thread. I completely agree!!
JC-

Western MA Hunter 10-27-2009 04:07 AM

I have shot 1 deer in head.. hit him right where I aimed between the eyes. Not my preferred shot, but given the circumstances, it worked. Depends on the situation. Not something I plan on doing too often.

Gobble! 10-27-2009 05:44 AM

i have never had one walk away from a head shot even when i have hit them in the jaw

cjwink 10-27-2009 07:24 AM

Grew up shooting head and neck shots, but have taken some with shoulder shots as well.. I don't like the head shot as much as the neck shot mainly because I sight my gun in for long range shooting.. So I am about 3 inches high at 100 yards and dead on at about 250 and a little low at 300. The neck is a little longer than the head :). If the deer is 150 yards of less, then neck shot farther out than that and it is behind the shoulder... I think the head, neck or shoulder shots are ethical, I just pick the shot that I know I can make and take it.

IndyHunter83 10-27-2009 07:33 AM

Just my $0.02, but there are some instances when it my be an ethical alternate to what is conventionally considered the killzone. But I have to say that I agree with the guy who asked why you would take a head a shot if you have a shot for the killzone. That to me is not ethical. If the answer is to save meat then you're completely full of crap because if know where you're bullet is going every time (and you should if you're taking head shots) then you're gonna damage that much meat. Unethical in most cases. just my opinion.

pigiron 10-27-2009 08:11 AM

I don't know if this kid was aiming for the head or not.....I would assume that he most likely wasn't.

Point being, head shots don't make for a very nice photos.

Even on a doe...I don't really relish in the thought of throwing an animal in the back of my truck with its head blown off, jaw hanging by a piece of skin, or its brains spilling out. The deer's identity has virtually been taken away....meaning that it's sometimes nice to admire a taken animal's beauty among friends or family whether your trophy is a spike, 10 pointer, doe, or fawn.

No offense to you snipers, I just prefer a clean shot through the vitals.

iSnipe 10-27-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 3485482)
Do we have to go over this topic every 6 months? It seems like it never ends. All that ever happens is 2 people eventually keep the thread going by b**tching at each other. Will the Mods would just ban any topic that has anything to do with headshots? Im sure a lot of the people who have been on this site for more than a year would really appreciate it.

If you're so worked up about these posts, why are you reading them anyway?

Do you like to whine? To me it seems you are the one b*t****g here. Why not from now on when you see these posts that irritates you so much, just not open them and read something else?

iSnipe

severetaxidermy 10-27-2009 08:17 AM

From a taxidermist perspective

Any shoulder or lung to shoulder shot is ethical. I've never tried to shoot anything in the head or neck. I personally don't like those kinds of shots. If I can, I try to take out both shoulders and that will drop the animal in it's tracks (rifle or muzzleloader), If that doesn't work, take both longs and into the opposite shoulder(typically this shot is preferred with bow). This will achieve the same result, in most situations. The animal may still run from a shot like this, but if it's a good one it won't go very far at all. Of course the heart shot is always ethical too as it supplies the rest of the body and without it there is no life :) You'll have a very good looking specimen to mount as well as ethical/quick kill.

superstrutter 10-27-2009 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by pigiron (Post 3485866)
I don't know if this kid was aiming for the head or not.....I would assume that he most likely wasn't.

Point being, head shots don't make for a very nice photos.

Even on a doe...I don't really relish in the thought of throwing an animal in the back of my truck with its head blown off, jaw hanging by a piece of skin, or its brains spilling out. The deer's identity has virtually been taken away....meaning that it's sometimes nice to admire a taken animal's beauty among friends or family whether your trophy is a spike, 10 pointer, doe, or fawn.

No offense to you snipers, I just prefer a clean shot through the vitals.

Holy crap, that's downright ugly. A beautiful buck messed up by an errant shot. I hope he was shot a second time to put him out of his misery. This is why I won't take head shots.