Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Call Question

Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Deer Call Question

Hey guys

I was having a discussion with a coworker about using grunt calls. The Rut does not get into full swing around here untill mid november. Will deer respond to a grunt call now like they will during the rut, or is it to early to really count on being able to call a few bucks in with one? What about rattle bags and bleat calls?

Thanks for the help
Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calling, especially grunting, will work all season long. I rattled in a buck a week ago. I dont like to rattle or bleat very much early season though. I usually dont blind call early on much. If I see a buck thats not coming my way I will grunt at him. Works quite a bit, even early on. So yeah, I would call now.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gives you something to occupy your time while waiting for a deer to come by.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

if yer in a good blind...why not...but if your on the ground exposed ya dont wanna grunt much b/c you will give your position away...grunt a lil and let the deers curiosity bring em in.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only buck that I can say for sure that I grunted in, was shot on Oct. 10. They'll check things out any time.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

If you do choose to grunt now i would still keep it low key-a few soft grunts or tickling of antlers is ok now. As we get closer to the seeking phase of the rut i would start calling more agressively.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure light calling just lets the deer know that there's another deer over here.Doe grunts work in the early season too.