Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Positive feedback info please

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Spike

Default Positive feedback info please

Ok, here is my situation. I have finally saved enough money to buy a rifle, muzzleloader, etc. I have $1100 total to spend and my WIFE'S permission which is the most important, to buy a gun.

Here's what I'm looking at:

I can get a used browing 30-06 with a Leupold scope, stage 3, that is my buddies, he wants $950 for it. I have shot it, the gun the scope are mint. This gun shoots awesome, one shot put it away it's dead balls on. I used it last season and fell in love with it. I went to gunbroker.com and they say the gun is worth $1100.

Or- Do I get a muzzleloader, I'm looking at the Tompson Center Encore or the CVA Accura, I will get a scope for it. This choice extends my gun deer hunting. I know living in WI you can't use a scope unless it's 1 power, but during Regular gun deer season I can, just muzzleloader season I can't.

I'm suppose to go out west next year to Wyoming and Elk hunt. If I draw a tag, we are party hunting and have alot of preference points so we should be getting one soon. No quarantee though.

My question is this: would you go with the rifle, or go with the muzzleloader for less money and use the remaing on hunting gear and taking the wife out for dinner. At what effective range will the muzzleloader shoot, my neighbor says I will need to be able to shoot out to 300 yards. That seems far too me.

Thank you for all your input
Old 10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

The new Traditions Vortek muzzle-loader shoots awesome and is a fraction of the price. You can get the gun for under $300 then put a $150 scope and get out of there pretty cheap. You can get pretty good out to 250 yards with these new guns, but 300 is a stretch..

You could also buy a different rifle, one in the $650 range and have some cash left over for gear and your wife...
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it were me, I would go to Wal-Mart and buy a Rem 700 in .270 , camo for about $505, cheaper in solid black. Then on E-Bay I would get a Bushnell Elite 4200, new, for about $270 and mounts and rings for about $40. Then you can get the muzzy with a cheap scope for about $190 and still have enough left to get some equipment to outfit the muzzy, all for less than $1100. Just IMHO.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would research pricing on other guns. You may find something that is less epensive and meets your needs.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

WOW....I just realized how frkin lucky I am....my wife MADE me buy a Browning Gold...always wanted on but would never spend money on slef....and made me buy a inline 50 cal...I guess when you drool and look puppy eyed it makes them (wife) hurt inside....anyways...I have never gotten permission...and she hunts with me...ya, I am lucky...sorry got off subject...good luck with cannon purchase.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

get the encore u can probably use extra money to get a centerfire barrel and have 2 guns in one
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Pretend you only have 700 bucks and you'll probably still buy both a rifle and a muzzle loader, IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH WELL.
A 30-06 is a very popular caliber and there are tons of guns that will shoot it very well.
Muzzle loaders are getting popular too and reasonably priced as well.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

if it were me, i would go with the accura, 50 cal barrel and then a centerfire of your choice, 7mm mag maybe
i think that the encores are over rated
Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

The Browning is a great gun, but will suck up all your money, leaving you all dressed up and no place to go, if money is tight. To get into it, I would initially go the Encore, which is a fine gun. Put the 1x on it, which will be a far cry from open sights regardless.The gun cleaning supplies, powder, etc. will run you close to 100.00 anyway. You will have a gun appropriate for all seasons, and almost anything in North America, and you will learn to value that first shot. for your next birthday, xmas, anniversary, etc. let the wife get you the barrel of choice to go with it, and you can scope it out as you please.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by roundhead
Ok, here is my situation. I have finally saved enough money to buy a rifle, muzzleloader, etc. I have $1100 total to spend and my WIFE'S permission which is the most important, to buy a gun.

Here's what I'm looking at:

I can get a used browing 30-06 with a Leupold scope, stage 3, that is my buddies, he wants $950 for it. I have shot it, the gun the scope are mint. This gun shoots awesome, one shot put it away it's dead balls on. I used it last season and fell in love with it. I went to gunbroker.com and they say the gun is worth $1100.

Or- Do I get a muzzleloader, I'm looking at the Tompson Center Encore or the CVA Accura, I will get a scope for it. This choice extends my gun deer hunting. I know living in WI you can't use a scope unless it's 1 power, but during Regular gun deer season I can, just muzzleloader season I can't.

I'm suppose to go out west next year to Wyoming and Elk hunt. If I draw a tag, we are party hunting and have alot of preference points so we should be getting one soon. No quarantee though.

My question is this: would you go with the rifle, or go with the muzzleloader for less money and use the remaing on hunting gear and taking the wife out for dinner. At what effective range will the muzzleloader shoot, my neighbor says I will need to be able to shoot out to 300 yards. That seems far too me.

Thank you for all your input
What model is it, a A bolt or what.
I would go to him and offer him starting with $700.00 with seven $100.00 dollar billes in your hand, for him to see.
And if he says no, then add another $100.00 bill.
Thats $800.00 you might get it for $700.00, if hes selling it because he needs the money.

But $950.00 is a fair price for the gun, with a Leupold scope.
Depends on the rifle, and scope model #

Good luck

JMHO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.