Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Score him

Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Spike

Why do people get hung up on spread? It counts for the smallest variation in score of all measurements. Given that most mature deer are about 16 inches wide, at least, on average. So, if you get a deer with a big spread of say 20 inches, well, you have only gained 4 inches. Spread is not critical. Tine length and mass are most important.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Spike

Shoot... This deer wont last another day if my neighbors found out about him, they are big time spot lighters and poachers.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i could shoot him, the score would be:

Deerhunter 1
Deer 0
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Spike

I'll say 141 3/8ths... but he may as well be a spike if you cannot show us a daylight pic... This pic is 4 hours after shooting time in my area... hardly going to be able to hunt this deer when it is baited.. You may get a wack if the Rut spurs a little earlier movement .. But as long as the deer is this late and on a bait.. He is pretty unhuntable... Sadly.. I live in a area that has this same exact problem.. and you know what?? Hunters don't think there are any deer as the rarely see one on stand. Yet if you spend your time huning with a camera.. You will find there are lots of deer.. It is just the deer are so trained to night time activity on bait piles. They will never be seen in the light of day unless someone chases them out of their bed to you...But it can and does happen.. But I ca not relate pure luck of that happening to hunting...

But it is nice to know a decent deer exists where you hunt... even if it is 4 hours after shooting hours.. Gives a guy a little hope ... Now if you get day light pics.. .Make sure to post them on this thread.. I'd love to see them

NH
Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not hung up on spread, but it does count.

Just not a great angle to do a good job of estimating the score. Good tine length, mass could be better.

The ultimate judge of a trophy is the hunter. I've seen does that were great trophies because the hunter earned and was proud of them.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Correct. Spread means squat. However, main beams, both length and mass, along with width generally equals more than 70% of scores. Never understood why you would subtract NT growth from a typical score, yet allow air { width } to be counted. Go figure.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Never Happy
They will never be seen in the light of day unless someone chases them out of their bed to you...But it can and does happen.. But I ca not relate pure luck of that happening to hunting...

NH

Not sure why that wouldn't be considered hunting: being in the right place at the right time when a buck is bumped. In reality, that's all it ever REALLY is, no matter how good someone thinks they are. The more time you spend in the woods hunting, the better the chance that that bumped buck comes your way.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Spike

My friend was over he is an excellent hunter he usually kills at least one Pope and Young every year. We think we found his bedding area but I am not sure. The closest he has came to day light is 7:05 at night and 6:18 in the morning.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back we found one side of dropped antlers. Just for kicks we had it scored. Had someone shot that deer, I was told it would have scored 155-160. This deer is not even that big.
My estimate is low 140's.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a ten point.... With good beam length... and youre guessing 130...? Really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.