Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.223 for Deer Hunting

Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by iSnipe
sconnyhunter,

We sit on opposites sides of the argument ye or nay for the .223. Some of what you say, I agree with totally... and some, well, LOL!... I don't.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I appreciate your civility in the manner in which you shared your opinion.

On an after-thought, you brought a good point about the buck fever issue we all go through during the heat of the moment and if a youngster can handle it... and I have to say that's a good answer for against.

Still I could argue it could happen with any caliber... and again could argue that 100% of the deer broadside shot in the heart/lung area will be dead... but I won't. LOL!

Your opinions are noted and with good cause. Good job.

iSnipe
iSnipe, I don't think we are different sides of the point because hawkeye is correct in thier point, experience is a huge factor in killing a deer. For the expereinced hunter the .223 may be an ethical choice.
My opinion is that it is not for a new hunter (minor first time out).

Yeah, I have to fully agree with you, I still get buck fever myself at the ripe old age of 31.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMHO get the .243, top it with a nice scope and go to the range. You can pick up a low price youth model breech opening rifle fairly cheap and it will make a great starter rifle. I started my grandsons off with one and it won't be long before my 7 year old granddaughter will be shooting the same rifle. The grandsons moved up to a .270.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
.22 caliber is a RIMFIRE
so a .22/250 is a rimfire? Hopefully somebody has already corrected you.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

rogerstv, I ribbin'ly made a post in regards to heinz' post; so yeah, he knows.

==========
halfbaked, if you read my apply again, I'm sure you would tell I was kidding and I knew you were kidding. I was just having some fun. It took me a while too, back in the day, to figure the nuance of the .22 being more than just a rimfire.

Hang in there buddy!

iSnipe
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
iSnipe,...Yeah, I have to fully agree with you, I still get buck fever myself at the ripe old age of 31.
Ripe old age? Yeah, right. You still smell like baby powder.

iSnipe
Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
When a fellow hunter says he has trained his daughter for a year and has shown marksmanship by iterating "is actually very accurate with it", that is not something to be taken lightly. I have faith in him to oversee his daughter's welfare along with the integrity of hunting to teach what is right. To foolishly say in reference to her, is not in the right hands, is an insult. I have faith in deernmusky to safely show his daughter the ways of handling a gun. However, when faith is not in one's own life, they can't have faith in others.

Rock on deernmusky!

iSnipe

So now I am not only similar to a Halocaust denier because I know that deer don't have a 6th sense, but a faithless hethen that has no faith in fellow hunters because I find major faults in the concepts of organized religion and the indoctrination they put forth.

By the way, I have never been the subject of someone's signature line. Kinda feel honored.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Spike

A .223 is perfectly fine to kill a deer as long as the shot placement is precise. I shot a deer last year during Pennsylvania's rifle season with a 50 gr. bullet out of a 22-250 and the deer went ten yards and pilled up. Like I said shot placement has to be precise. I personally do not feel that you could run a 50 gr. bullet through a shoulder but if you run it right through the lung area you should have no problem. I will say the bullet blew the lungs to pieces however there was no exit wound in the animal because the bullet fragmented to pieces. I believe a .223 is perfectly fine as long as the shooter behind the gun is good enough to make the right shot. I would also recommend looking into a limbsaver recoil pad. If you place a recoil pad on a .243 it would be just like shooting a .223 only you'll have more knock down power behind it. But either caliber is fine. Good luck this year, hope she'll bag a big one.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Spike

my 2 cents is go with the 243 and put a good recoil pad on it. then to take it a step further if you reload then you could have a deer and varmint gun. if you go up to the "2009-2010 deer hunting braggin' board" , you will see a picture of a nice mule my roomate took this year with a savage 243. i work up some handloads for this. i also have a 223 that i have for a back up also, but then again i have been shooting it for a long time and ,I WOULD FEEL COMFORTABLE USING IT. rember shot placemnt is what counts.

Thanks Mark
Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Spike

.223 is too small for an amature hunter
Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

personally seen deer shot with 22 hornet last year didnt like the idea of it and tryed to talk the young girl into practicing with my grlfriends 243 but no way was not happening not wanting to deny her her youth day hunt we went with the hornet took a deer a littl bit back just grazed lungs did not exit from 45 yards. no blood trail whatsoever deer went 100 yards tops. and layed down we didnt wait long enough and jumped her. went home had breakfast, called in some help, waited a couple hours and founf it within another 50 yards of jumping.
my advice would be with any of the small calibers would be to give them extra time and get help to track bloodtrail may not exist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.