Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Finally got a mount worthy buck >

Finally got a mount worthy buck

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally got a mount worthy buck

Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Finally got a mount worthy buck

Well it may have taken me 12 years but i finally got one. My first shooter buck. I kind of had a 5 pointer curse going or something. Every single buck I killed up until yesterday only had 5 points. Last year during shotgun I shot an 8 pointer and as he ran away he broke off his one side of the rack taking him back down to a 5. With the pre rut coming in hard and fast i decided to bait my stand again on Monday night. I contemplated hunting one of our other stands but with heavy sign around the bait I decided last minute to try this stand out in the afternoon. I had just climbed up into my stand around 3pm and sent my girlfriend the text saying i'm turning my phone off now and as i shut the phone i heard movement behind me. Of course i figured it was another squirrel, but as i turned and look i saw a nice mature doe working her way through the laurels coming to the bait. She ended up walking right under my stand. She made it to the bait pile and less then 3 minutes later i heard movement again. I knew it had to be a deer but when i turned to look i couldnt believe my eyes when all i saw was horns coming my way. I instantly started getting that old too familiar shake as i reached for my bow. He followed the same trail as the doe but stopped right under my stand beneath a thick holly tree. He mustve sat there for about 5 minutes eating acorns. And finally he stepped into a little opening. I was waiting for him to get into my shooting lane but he never made it there because he started to turn as if he were walking away so i decided to let one fly. Great quartering away shot at 7 yards. This was only 30 minutes after i climbed up into the tree! The arrow found the mark and i cautiously backed out and went back to the truck. I waited for two hours for my dad, brother and best friend to show up and give me a hand tracking. Dad was the first to find blood and it looked good. The deer only ran 70 yards and dropped. This is my biggest buck to date and i finally broke my 5 point curse. This one's going on the wall. 2nd deer with the new bow this year. He field dressed at 150lbs and is a very respectable deer for public land that is a little over hunted.
Attached Thumbnails Finally got a mount worthy buck-myspace.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, nice buck
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck, the Curse is broken.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the great buck!! Heck of a story too!!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations buddy! Looks very similar, except a hair bigger than my first bow buck I had mounted. 7 yards sounds like a fun time. It's great to have deer milling around under the stand for that long. When it happens to me, can't help but have a huge grin on my face!

Nice job, nice pic!

iSnipe
Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

well done ..great story
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great looking buck! Congrats!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first wall hanger!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

awesome work, and congratulations!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Spike

Very nice deer! Thanks for the story....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.