Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Location question

Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Question Location question

Ive need sum help...

ive got three food plots out its still kinda in the early season where i live and ive been hunting hard the past cuple weeks. but no results in the plots? is it a weather factor? time of year kinda thing? and does this mean that when gun season rolls along pretty soon and its still warm shuld i be hunting over the plots or over my corn and soybean fields? i rlly need sum help guys
Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a hard call to make. It could be several factors. One key thing you could have explained is to say whether they are eating it or not. The feeding sign will reveal this. I'm assuming they are, but under the cover of darkness.

If it is still green there, the deer still have good foliage to eat on or there still is a mast drop and your plots just aren't on the menu yet. Your continued activity around those plots may also be something the deer are using to pattern you.

I don't want to assume, but I find it hard to understand you're not having any luck after that much hunting over those food plots... unless you are seeing does and young bucks, but not any shooters. Or do you mean not seeing any deer at all?

I wish I had the problem of deciding which of my plots, corn or soybean fields to hunt over. That must be hard to make such a decision. LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

bigbucks98, this is where those trail cameras are great in monitoring food plots.
I just got one and it is so far the best investment I have aside from scouting or hunting an area myself.One thing you can do is if you are driving around and see deer feeding take a note of what they are feeding on. I don't know why but for some reason if deer are feeding on corn in one field, 3 fields away the same is happening on another field.They must know what is good during certain times.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

theyre not rlly eating my plots. a doe comes and eats maybe for a minute or two at night. huntrfushr- ido have a trail cam but the crop fields are to big to have a single cam on and i use my trail cam for my plots and thats how i figured out that doe is hanging around. so im lost idk what to do. lol
Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

theyre not rlly eating my plots... so im lost idk what to do.
Now's when the fun starts. They're eating somewhere and you have to figure it out.

My suggestions are to drive around, look at an aerial photo, or ask around to try to learn what might be attracting the deer to somewhere else and find a place to set-up on that. The other is to get yourself in the woods and start looking for sign to see where the deer are and what they are doing. Stillhunting works good for this--but don't be creeping through areas that don't look productive. Move fairly quickly until you start seeing some sign and then slow it down. Or find something they're using and set-up in the nearest downwind blowdown.

The other one is patience. Rut's coming, food sources change, etc.and deer shift their movements. Your plot maybe a gold mine in just a short time