Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tripping and Falling

Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Default Tripping and Falling

My son and I went out on Saturday and he fell two times earlier in the day and then I fell later that day!

I was wondering how many of you have tripped and fell when out on your hunts. Any serious falls? We were pretty lucky that nothing was serious but it sure does catch you off guard when you go down. I know I got my right foot caught up in a jagger bush when I went down. I tried to stand and firmly went down again.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Spike

You are supposed to drink after the hunt not before
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

ALLLLLLLL! Now ya tell me!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Haha exactly!!! Beers and firearms don't mix!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember that it happens to everyone eventually.

1: Always keep your guns safety on, unless you're actually pulling the trigger, never before.
2: Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, especially while you're falling even if it means that you get scraped up worse.
3: Remember that shotguns have a floating firing pin. Hunters have blown their heads off by breaking their fall with the butt of a shotgun.
4: Broadheads are razor blades, be careful.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

i busted my butt on my last hunt, comin out of the woods. slipped on a rock going down hill..knocked the breather right out of me, it happend so fast i didnt know what happened...luckily the bow was in good shape cause i wasnt!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

On saturday, my friend went to step over a log, he stepped on it, the moss gave way and face planted into the dirt and broke his quiver off his bow.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ava, may just be out of practice. Since I was a young kid I've been in the woods. When I grew up, many of my jobs were around trees and shrubs... and logging. Even now I've worked around fallen trees and have even been walking around the woods scouting almost every day. Just the other day I walked so much, I was physically exhausted by days end. What does this mean? Not much to you, but it gives me a lot of practice lifting and placing my feet. Seems every spring when I hit the woods, it takes a bit to get my "woods feet" down again. LOL! To my recollection, I've never fallen or tripped while hunting. Knock on wood.

I have tripped on the job many times and took a few falls while scouting, but that doesn't count because you said "hunting". LOL!

I've gotten acquainted with the ground a few times. I've always found it to be startling and comical. Hopefully if you trip again, it will be like-wise instead of sustaining any injuries.

Be careful out there!

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

I didn't quite laugh when I went down but I did when I realized the jagger wouldn't let me go and I fell the second time!

I have tripped on the job many times and took a few falls while scouting, but that doesn't count because you said "hunting". LOL!

You're so sly! lol
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Here's one I would like to share. It happened on a fishing trip not hunting but I would just like to bring caution to the air. I was balancing on a log crossing a stream when my foot slid and I feel backwards. I heard the back of my shirt rip and sitting on the water I realize one of those small timber that the beaver have sharpened when they were logging, sticking out just missed my back, but just scraped me. I look around for dangers when ever I use a log to cross streams nowadays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.