Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help Please!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Spike

Default Help Please!

Looking to take my 7 year old son out in the field in the deer stand with me on Sunday when we can't hunt. I want to do it this way so if he can't sit out there and gets bored we can leave without having to worry about ruining anyone elses deer hunting. My question to you guys is what would be a good attractant to help encourage some deer to show so he gets to see them. Obviously a good corn pile but anything else you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Spike

the best attractant is to be where the deer want to be, tv shows and advertisements want you to think that what deer want can be bought in a bottle at the local sports store but the reality of it is you just cant beat what nature provides, the deer know where it is we just have to find it and the deer wont be far behind
Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an answer. If you check my thread titled Do You Know Of A Lure That Draws Deer In?, you will see there are 2 pages of replies and almost 300 views. With all that, I can recall only one person replying that he witnessed deer moving away from their regular path of travel, just to investigate the lure's source.

I wanted to know if people were using a product or products that moved deer away from what they were doing naturally, to come and make an alteration in their line of travel just to smell more of the lure.

So this sort of fits in with your question and as you can see, you're short on replies with several people reading the post. I had deer smell my lures and scents many times, but I was hunting in the deer's natural line of travel, so I can't say with any certainty that they wouldn't have gone their naturally already. Since I was on trails, the deer were already on it and traveling by and it was not the lure that brought them up a trail they were already going down.

I wish I could help you. Your curiosity is the $10,000 question...

"...what would be a good attractant to help encourage some deer to show..."

If you knew the answer to that, dear God my friend, people would be racing to your door with open wallets to learn that too. LOL!

Best of luck... and feel Blessed to have a son you can take out there and share life with. Good times!

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

one of my dads freinds used some trails end 307 and says it works( hes also says it smells like licorice)
ive also heard of guys using vanilla and peanut butter to draw deer in
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a lure by Hunter's Specialties(PrimeTime) called Buck Lure Supreme 1. In one of his videos, Tom Miranda endorsed it, guess because he formulated it(LOL!), and showed how to use it with scent-wicks.

It smelled like black licorice too. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

hmm deer seem to have a sweet tooth (but then again who doesnt) i also remember my grandpa tellin stories of back in the day he says every once in a while he would rub a little molasses on a tree
Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem I've seen with people using products, is that they can't reliable prove or know for sure if the product they use, in fact, really did draw the deer in. Who's to say they were already headed that way?

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Spike

Apples work pretty good also
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

bow huntin or rifle huntin...what date ya goin?durin the rut? tree stand or box blind?

if ya got a helicopter you can fly over and take a look and have em drop ya off ....and then the heli can herd the deer to ya...jk mann..need a lil more info is all im sayin...everything matters...600 yrds it don matter....30 yards one dog hair can ruin ya..
Old 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mikejhs006
Apples work pretty good also

if you are on an apple farm this can be true. deer take weeks to adjust to food change, so they aint gonna start that over 2 apples they find in a corn rich environment e.g iowa.or nebraska...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.