Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Safety

Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Safety

Just this morning on the 20 minute drive to my hunting spot, I was 3 minutes away when I realized I had forgotten my safety harness.

I considered going on in and hunting out of my 18' high stand without it. Then almost immediately I thought about the family that I met when my dad was in the Critical Care Unit after a bad car accident. They were there for a guy who had fallen from a tree stand and had been paralyzed as a result. Then there was a guy last year from work who went deer hunting and didn't come home on time --they found him dead-- at the bottom of his tree. The list goes on...

I TURNED AROUND, DROVE BACK HOME AND GOT MY HARNESS.

Sure, I burned up some time and got on stand late, but I felt more secure and hunted more at ease knowing that I had it on.
Being macho and taking risks is foolish business and should never be given a second thought. No deer is worth that kind of price.

I know this might sound like I'm patting myself on the back.
Well, so be it. This stuff needs to be said BEFORE it's too late.

Based on the concept that good safety habits (or bad ones) are contageous, please post any good habits or experiences you have that we all could profit and live from.

Guys please!

Go the extra mile to hunt safe and pass it on.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the day when I posted a lot on the archery forums, I preached that about every day and had a reminder in my signature about it. But then safety belts were in and now it's "harnesses".

However, I can't help being macho.

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Spike

I agree totally. I was with a buddy today and we moved his climber with a stick ladder. He was about 20 feet in the air. I asked him if he wears a harness and he said sometimes. I was like dude put it on. I fell out of my tree once had a harness on and didn't fall all the way out because of it. I might not be here if i did I was going out head first. It made me a believer.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

When I was in the Hospital with a broken back, my roommate was there for falling out of a tree stand. He had a bad head injury and did not know any of his family. Not a pretty picture.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

I'm just a beginner and have never used a tree stand yet but when I do, I will definately be using a harness.

I cringe when I hear of people dissing them and I have. I try to advocate harnesses when I get the chance and I get eye rolls as if I don't know what I'm talking about. I may be new to the game but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a 150 lb person falling 10ft or more could cause devistating effects not only for the person falling but for a family left to pick up the pieces after such a fall that could have been prevented!

Be safe out there! Protect your lives when hunting from a tree stand... wear a harness!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, wearing a harness is very important. Which reminds me, I need a new one and I'm looking for a vest type like the Hunter Safety System. Anybody recommend a good one?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Spike

Default Please wear a full body harness

Two weeks ago when I took my first bow buck, I almost came out of the stand. I was in a stationary stand, and was turning to take the shot when the bottom of the stand shifted. Luckly I kept my balance without spooking the deer, and was able to make my shot. Then I turned towards the tree and looked at the rope connecting me to the tree, and just thanked god, I was a wreck, not just from the deer but also thinking of not having my harness on.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also forgot to mention it before...

whitetail addiction, Thank you for the reminder. I think regardless of our experiences, EVERYONE needs a reminder like that. If not for ourselves, at least one to keep telling everyone else too!

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm curious to know what percent of falls are from...

guys stepping off their stands, ie missing their footing and slipping

or failure of a ratchet strap, stand breaking