Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions about Louisiana

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Spike

Default Questions about Louisiana

I'm moving down to the Big Easy on orders from the Marine Corps and I need to know where there are good places to hunt Whitetail? I normally hunt all three methods since I have a bolt action rifle, a shotgun, and a bow so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

I would hope you find this link helpful:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/wmas/

And don't forget about crossbows too as a hunting method. Too bad some states don't allow them.

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

goin to the right place....i am on the state line in tx/la and whitetails are everywhere..ask when ya get there, certainly you are not the only hunter there!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

No good hunting close to The Big Easy. North of you in West Feliciana Parish is some great deer and turkey hunting, that is if you can find a place to hunt. The best deer hunting is in north LA., especially the parish where my land is located, Union Parish, and in Tensas Parish. If you want to make the drive up north, about 4 hours from N.O., you can find a club to join pretty easy.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default LA

Try looking into some of the management areas, maybe go to cabelas in Gonzales and start talking to some of the locals and finding out lil pieces of info here and there.. LA is full of public land to hunt... You might even find a good hunting club. I am on Fort Polk LA right...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default Plenty of wma's

I live in New Orleans also and there are plenty of places to hunt if your willing to drive. If you want somewhere close then there is Pearl River Management area. The best places you will need a boat but you can walk in several places. Most walkin places will be packed as there just aren't many places and most people are lazy.
Next is Sherbourne which is about a 2 hour drive west of I-10. This place has plenty of big deer and you just need to go deeper in the woods than everyone else. About a 2 1/2 hour drive from NO is Thistlewaite WMA which has your best chance at a monster as they have antle restrictions in place which is on its 4th year of a 10 year plan. Visit the wildlife and fisheries website as posted above and you can download maps and directions. The secret to public land hunting is to get away from the crowds and be willing to put in the work. You are a marine so you should be fit enough to go deep in the woods. This is key and be willing to hunt all day. Move around some if get bored with one area.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Spike

make sure you have your thermacell
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Spike

Thank you all for the replies. Yeah, I kind of figured that I would have to drive a bit from the Big Easy but I'm used to it being where I live now I sort of have to do the same thing now and I have no problem whatsoever going deep into the woods to get to my hunting spot. You guys gave me some good info and I do appreciate it and I look forward to the hunting and hopefully maybe even running into a few of you down there! Hopefully it will be this year but more than likely I will have to wait until next year due to the fact that we work non-stop in the Marines but I do get some paid vacation that I plan on using for my hunts. Other than hunting (I can't believe I just said that) I also can't wait to check out the Gulf of Mexico and catch some sea food!