Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

No Deer?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default No Deer?

Well, I'm getting a bit discouraged. I've been out 6 times now and haven't seen so much as a squirrel. I've been still hunting as I don't have a stand, and I'm not really supposed to use one due to a back injury. This is my first season Hunting, so I don't have a lot to go on. I've tried to sit near Oak Hammocks and deer trails, and I try to keep the wind in my favor. So far nothing. Is this common in the woods? I don't expect to see things every time, but once would be nice.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

FLBANDIT- I also have been out that many times and not seen a deer going out in the morn again .I just hope something shows up it's getting harder to get up in the morn to head out when you know your'll sit there and not see anything .I also forgot to say that i hunt till 11'00 thats all i can take .
Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

thats deer huntin. lucky for me, I only had 4 sittings where I didnt see anything in the past two years. I have a real honey hole. Dont always see big bruisers but just seeing anything at all is good enough for me.

Last edited by NC Buck Slayer; 10-17-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to my world, between one guy bush-hogging and dogs running around I haven't seen a deer in three weeks. I forgot, I had one blow and run in the woods just as it was almost too dark to see and I was walking home Wednesday night.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Spike

Ditto. Caly's hunting season ends next weekend. I've been out about a dozen times. Have only seen 4 does the entire time. And they were all hanging out together.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it man. You'll see some eventually. Try scouting for sign like rubs and scrapes. Then set up near them and wait.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been still hunting as I don't have a stand...This is my first season Hunting, so I don't have a lot to go on.
This might have something to do with it. It's hard to tell what might be up with the deer, but I'd guess your technique might be hurting you.

As I'm teaching myself to still hunt, it's slowly become evident that you have to think in terms of tiptoeing and creeping, not walking. Be stopped and slowly looking as much as you move and don't take more than a step or two at a time. Use your toes to feel where to put your step so you don't pop or snap anything. If you do, stay still for a minute or two. Also, try to pick your route so it takes you next to cover and generally as out of sight as possible. Try to keep a deer from seeing your full silhouette.

If you see start seeing squirrels or other animals, pay attention to whether or not you are alerting them. If a squirrel is detecting you, a deer most certainly will, so you have to slow down and creep even more for sure.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks all. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my approach that's the problem. I know a few other people who've hunted the same WMA with success. It's perhaps not the greatest area, but there are Deer, Hog and Turkey. I'll be trying again today. Bow season ends next week, and if nothing else I need to find a good spot for General Gun season. My Daughter wants to go, and I really want her to see some deer.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iv been out 5 times since the 15th(1st day)i heard one blowin at me yesterday right at dark,but ain't seen nothin!!!!!!!Hopefully i'll kill a deer in the next couple weeks though..........wish me luck ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Spike

I am a terrible still hunter............I can set all day, but the still huntin is very frustrating for me. I would much rather spend the hours it takes lookin for the perfect spot to set up, rather than tryin to sneek up on a whitetail!

If you cant use a stand try a pop up blind. Put it on a trail, clear out a few lanes, and get you a comfortable chair. Try a few hunts at each location and move on.

Call the local game warden in your area and ask them the dates of the pre rut. Concentrate the majority of your hunting around the pre rut if you are lookin for a buck.

Just my 2 cents.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.