Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer hunter satisfaction survey >

Deer hunter satisfaction survey

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunter satisfaction survey

Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Texas

texas does have some overpopulated areas.. some areas dont have any at all...sum are moderate....they change our book alot and sumtimes our county is a 1 buk 2 does(soetimes jus fer 3 days or so for does)and then 1 year we will have a 13" spread or bigger rule along with 3 points and smaller..(antler restrictions) i see some 5 deer counties....i dont own a farm so this dont ride with everyone (speciallly farmers) but i would make every county a 1 deer county fer 3 years and i think it would help alot where i hunt...
but sum people say there are too many deer, i know people in my area that have alot of land lie about how many deer they see so they can get xtra tags!!!!they dont care bout anything but pullin the trigger...jus takin straps n legs leavin carcus jus sittin with 20 lbs or more meat on it..and they give most the meat away.i call these people "killers"...cant even type ne more nough said
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

PA 3: Good
Been out only 2 Saturdays seen 7 different doe, and one fluke of a buck. Admiring the flora and fauna of a swamp during an October snowstorm was priceless!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Florida - 3. Liberal bag limit (2 deer per day) and no tagging system. We are left to manage our own land/lease, just the way it should be. I don't want to be told from the state what I can shoot/not shoot.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA-3.No management paln is perfect but we badly needed to balance the herd with the habitat.I saw things bottom out around 2005 but things have been slowly getting better since.I don't see a ton of deer but I see plenty most times I go out on public land.We have thousands of acres of public land available with decent access and just a short drive from my house.It's easy to get away from the crowds and not have to worry about competing with other hunters.I have no complaints.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

NY- 2. Where i hunt winter habitat is getting poor. One or two bad winters will bring our numbers down. To many deer (does & fawns) very very few nice bucks.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Spike

indiana gets a 1 management not really that good even though you can only get 1 buck you can kill like over 200 does its crazy ,if you or your family dont own land your s#it outta luck for a spot
Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

push to the top
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

Good stuff fellas.

Im from Pa and give it a 1. Ive never seen any state with as much dissatisfaction with a management agency. When you have the deer management leader needing to wear a bullet proof vest, the head of the pgc telling concerned deer hunters to go hunt squirrels, when you have nationally known "deer wars", have the management agency being sued by states sportsmen group, have a forced audit because of extreme lack of trust, and management agency being denied a fee increase by legislators because of such a high level of dissatisfaction, when your agency goes to lobby to state legislators with H.S.U.S and has audubon society as their primary "stakeholder"...then youve got undeniable problems.

Far too political and environmentalist extremists are far too involved in the management currently and very hunter nonfriendly management. Having hunted several other states and studying different states management throughout the last several years tells me this is not how its supposed to be.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need some more voters Cornie. PA's 1.5 ranking is currently beating Illinois (1.3) and 5 other states ranging from Wisconsin to Indiana (all 1.0) that are considered to be good deer hunting states. This poll kind of demonstrates the gap that MAY exist between hunter satisfaction and actual quality of given states.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

I agree lanse. More votes are needed. Hard to make any comparisons when so many states are unaccounted for, and some are only represented by 1 vote or 2. Hard to say that is directly representative. But as for Pa that you mentioned, it is interesting that Pa has more unsatisfied votes than any other.

As for assessing votes/commentary, You also need to READ the posts. Some of the votes were not happy with management policy, but said they had great deer herds despite the things they didnt agree with. Those chose to address the politics of management moreso than the current actual quality of hunting, and thats fine. I asked their opinions of both/either and they stated what they felt wasnt up to par. I had already asked for "worst hunting state' opinions and Pa got the knod on that one, though a couple of others were in the running and a good argument could probably be made for any of the bottom few.

There most definately is a difference between satisfaction with a states hunting and its policy making. I was interested in both actually, but am quite content to accept either, providing explanations are given. And for the most part they have been. Most have stated exactly what they are or arent happy with, and alot of "guesswork" isnt necessary.

What can be determined by this "voting" now or if even more votes are taken? For me, not a whole lot, just interesting is all, but I guess thats up to each individual reading.

BTW, Lanse, I dont know why you bothered to reply if you werent even gonna vote! Which do you hunt more Ohio or Illinois, and what do YOU think of the hunting & management there (combine the two and average out a number for us?)

Last edited by Cornelius08; 10-20-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.