Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Do Deer React To "Fresh"Ground Blinds? >

How Do Deer React To "Fresh"Ground Blinds?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Do Deer React To "Fresh"Ground Blinds?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question How Do Deer React To "Fresh"Ground Blinds?

I would like to know your experiences with hunting in a freshly set up ground blind.

I have a couple of ground blinds, but would like to use them freshly setup; ie, like set them up right then when I hunt, instead of letting the deer get use to them. Can't leave them for extended time or they'll get STOLEN.

My questions are important to me and hopefully others, because I'm hoping your answers will help with this style of hunting. The blinds will be kept clean and sprayed down with a scent killer. I know it's better to pre-set them before I hunt, so no need to remind me there. I do realize it's also better to brush them in when I can too. I will try and set them up in a style where their presence will not be as large a deal as just plopping them in the middle of where every passing deer can see them. I'll try and set them up off a trail, off the edge of a clearing or amidst an area that already has some cover nearby. I would also set up early enough to get a few branches, etc, to help blend the blind in. I will spray my lower extremities down with Scent-Shield to help avoid laying my scent for passing deer that may be walking by the area I gathered blending material from.

I have an Eastman blind and an ASAT blind. Both are very similar in design and style, except for the camo of course.

I will be using either a recurve bow or a rifle. I know it's not so crucial to blend a blind in when my target can be a loooong ways off, so we'll focus on close encounters.

I do hear of people saying the deer will shy off or get nervous around a fresh blind. I see people talking about they stare at the blind, etc, etc. I understand this.

* If you currently do use a fresh blind set up and hunt tactic with a ground blind, what do you do to increase your success?

* What sort of experiences have you had while hunting from a blind that was just freshly set up?

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

I would ALWAYS recommend setting them up prior to season and leaving them up. If you cant however...... try to hide them as best as you can. "brush" them in, hide them in the shadows. Believe me from experience, they will be very cautious and will even spook if they notice your ground blind! Tried to set up my blind a day before season last year..... big mistake. Thats the first thing they looked at, and looked at it every couple seconds, and would never come close to it. I will admit, it wasn't hid the best, so like I previously stated, hide it well!! This year I set it up in July and they have no issues with it. Lesson learned. Good luck!!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Spike

Snipe, I have tried it twice, and had zero success. Not trying to discourage you just telling you my experience. However, what I have had some success with is camo burlap or netting. Just wrap it around some brush, and in front of you, and leave yourself one way to shoot out. I know this limits your shots, but in the right situation, I have had good luck with it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

My always gets blown over by the wind i stake it own but i can leave it up because of the wind
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

sup man..

i have seen deer walk right up on a blue and black campin tent in the middle of a feilds with low grass and 0 zero tree's......they didnt even worry bout it and walked 15 yrds from it...a campin tent lol..so success can happen with spare of the moment drops..
on another note...when i built my 1st blind and set it up..my partner didnt have a blind at all...so the nite befor we took a ol blind that the roof was rotten, flipped it upside down, put a piece of plywood fer a roof and a pieced together floor with a white plastic chair in it, well he did better than me , and my chit was already set up fer a month or so....i was boggled needless to say...he got a 3 point and a doe the sae day .....as i saw jak chit...

gl
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

same mossberg i usualy set it up 1-2 weeks before opener
Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i have seen deer walk right up on a blue and black campin tent in the middle of a feilds with low grass and 0 zero tree's......they didnt even worry bout it and walked 15 yrds from it...a campin tent lol..so success can happen with spare of the moment drops.
The only real factor you left out is "How long has that tent been out there?"

If I were to guess, you don't know for sure. I would think that tent has been there for some time and the deer got acclimated to it, ie, got use to it because it's been there a while. Deer will get use to just about anything provided they get time to adjust to it's appearance. I've seen deer walk by farmers' equipment quite often... and we're talking mere yards from them and that's because they got use to it.

If perhaps that tent was there just recent, like that day, and the deer had that reaction, I have to ask them what they were drinkin'? LOL!

======================

I'm not too surprised in the replies thus far. I knew it would be difficult to pull off by throwing something new in the deer's face and hoping to have success. I know how to camo, be stealthy and build natural material ground blinds, but these manufactured blinds along with the style I had hoped to use them will be a challenge.

I don't want to throw up one of these blinds and leave it just for the sake of leaving it, but "if" I find a place where a blind would be ideal and I'm not scared of it being stolen, I'd pre-set it for a week or so and see what happens.

If any of you have additional comments, etc, I'm interested!

Thanks for all the replies.

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got in thre middle of a strip mine field drove 4 posts into the ground shoulder height, wrapped burlap around it and stapled it to the posts, sat in a white plastic chair and had my buck by 7;30 a.m. Did that 2 years in row. I can never tell w/ deer hpow they react, I think movement os your biggest deer stopper.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
I got in thre middle of a strip mine field drove 4 posts into the ground shoulder height, wrapped burlap around it and stapled it to the posts, sat in a white plastic chair and had my buck by 7;30 a.m.
Buck Hunter 1,

Did you set up that blind just that morning or did you pre-make it and hunted from it later? If later, how much later?

Were you gun hunting or using a bow? And how far was the shot?

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I'll agree with BuckHunter ,I've set up at the last minute and had success.
I think that if you set up when you know their bedded down and set it in the shadows and brush it in real good you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't think you should set it in the middle of a field though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.