Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer not eating from feeders

Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

I let the paint dry about 24 hours.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blindluck
jus get a piece of PVC about 6 inches in diameter and cut a V in the bottom end to let corn trickle out then put a cap on the top and strap it to a tree...make em about 4 or 5 feet tall and you got a corn feeder that costs about8-10 dollars vs. feeders made in a factory for 50-100 dollars!
I was going to make similar feeders this summer, PVC pipe, a cap on the top and a elbow on bottom for the deer to stick their snout into and eat but since I live 5 hours away from my property I am not able to fill them every week so I decided to build feeders with feeder kits on them using 55 gallon drums. They cost me $75.00 to build but they allow me to only have to fill them once every 5 weeks or so and they have saved me alot more than $75.00 in the money i have spent on corn, so they have already paid for them selves. Pike
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by shawnster88
I let the paint dry about 24 hours.
shawnster the smell will only last about a week or so, I painted my feeders about a week prior to putting them in the woods and the deer started hitting them right away. Pike
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I don't have problems with the deer hitting the feeder here:

iSnipe
iSnipe dont worry its just a matter of time before they find and get use to your feeder and start hitting it on a regular basis, I built and put my feeders out around July 4th and the deer are hitting them every day now. Pike
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Spike

I would put a camera up to see what is visiting the feeders and you may get a good idea of what was eating the piles of corn. When I have put out piles of corn I have had more coons, hogs, and crows visit the piles than deer. I grew some very fat coons and hogs. I finally started utilizing feeders and it took the deer a little while to start visiting. Take a look at a website that has some good products for you and email Mike he might have some good suggestions (www.mikeswildlifefeedersandsupplies.com)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Spike

It seems I have better luck at spreading my own corn than relying on a feeder. I have a spot where I have tried both and the spreading brings them in better than the feeder. Could anyone answer this question for me-Why?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fireman9_11
I would put a camera up to see what is visiting the feeders and you may get a good idea of what was eating the piles of corn. When I have put out piles of corn I have had more coons, hogs, and crows visit the piles than deer. I grew some very fat coons and hogs. I finally started utilizing feeders and it took the deer a little while to start visiting. Take a look at a website that has some good products for you and email Mike he might have some good suggestions (www.mikeswildlifefeedersandsupplies.com)
why spend $5.00 + shipping for such a small salt brick from that web site when you can get 50lb. salt or mineral blocks at TSC. or any local feed store for $6.00 each? Pike
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Spike

Default Feeder

Try puting some corn on the ground next to the feeder. If they take the corn on the ground and not in the feeder then you know it's the feeder they don't like.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I was going to build my own. 6" PVC with a cap on top, a Y on the bottom, capped off on the bottom. Ended up $60 to build two.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

go to a open parkin lot sweep all the acorns and put em in your feeder.