Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

handgun hunting

Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default handgun hunting

ok i know you all have seen this posted before but bare with me. i decided to give hangun hunting a try. ive got a ruger gp100 in 357 mag 6 inch barrel. is this enough gun and what type of loads. i have some 158gr softpoints and some hornady leverevolutions. maximum effective yards to shoot.any help is great thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

The loads you have will do the job. As far as distanace its where you can hit time after time and be ethical to the game.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with longhunter, plenty enough gun and load question is how comfortable are you with it and at what range are you consistantly on target.

Don
Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

My first season handgun hunting, I carried a Dan Wesson .357.
I had success several times with it, and became addicted to handgun hunting after that. I never get tired of talking about it.
I used factory 158gr jsp and jhp then. Both worked great.
Shots were 25-50yds or so. Typical woodland tree stand
type shots. No long reaches.
I almost always wait for a broadside shot just behind the shoulder.
Deer were typical (for here) 90lb southern does for table fare.
I couldn't really give a maximum distance for effectiveness.
The bigger the deer, the closer I'd want it.

I started handloading, and developed a favorite load of a 168gr Leadhead Keith, over 10.7gr of Bluedot.
As I was climbing down out of my treestand 2 years ago, I
noticed a doe standing there about 20 yards away, looking at me.
I eased my revolver up and shot her right between the front shoulders/lower neck(I guess brisket), with my handload.
It traversed clean through to the intestines.
Hard to take a shot like that on a ladder with a rifle!

Even though I took a few deer with it, I felt better getting bigger caliber guns(44,480), with more authority for longer shots.
I do still carry my DW from time to time though.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

yeah ,my handgun will do the job

savage striker 7mm-08,139grn hornady btsp
2x6 bushnell scope
harris bipod
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

If your a good shot go for it! Good gun ,good loads, go get em!
The only time I ever took a deer with a handgun it was a 357 revolver. Had a cousin come begging to borrow a rifle the night before season once. He offered his 357 for me to use and I killed a doe with it the next morning under my stand. Shot straight down between her shoulder blades. After field dressing her and getting back in my stand I killed a buck a few minutes later with my rifle. Took a 350 lb. black bear with a 44mag revolver and have shot a lot of squirrels with a 22 pistol. Love handgun hunting, but don't do enough of it.
I always had to laugh when the inmates at my old job would talk about how I probably couldn't hit anything with my SIG in 45acp. They had no idea and I never told them how I could hold my own at the range with my uncle, who through the 80's won a ton of 1st place trophies while shooting for the Marshaltown IA. police. He was number 1 in IA until he went back to the military in about 1988. They also didn't know that I was number 1 among all the other transport officers at the jail, or that I shot two perfect 50 round targets to qualify, starting at 25 yds. I didn't want to spoil the surprise.
I carry a 357 5 shot revolver as a self defense gun. Not a long range shooter but if the right shot comes up you can bet I'll try it.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same pistol and it will be going with me this year when gun season starts. I'm good with it up to about 40 yards. I'm sure it'll shoot farther, but I haven't practiced enough beyond that range that I feel confident to take an ethical shot.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

My 2-6x32 scope is being delivered tomorrow. I'm going to mount it on my .357 Colt Trooper III, 6-inch barrel. I'll take one range day then take it to the stand.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be handgun hunting for the first time this year also.I have a 41cal Ruger Red Hawk with open sights.I can't wait to see what it can do.