Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

missouri hunt

Old 10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default missouri hunt

i am going to missouri to hunt opening week of rifle season we are hunting 1500 private acres in camden county, is any one from around there ( im from michigan) or know of it. just wondering what to expect along the lines of hunting pressure and deer numbers even terrain any info would help thanks in advance, dan
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not from that area but vacation around there, and from what I can see from the road and a little hiking the terrain is very hilly, steep and rocky. I don't know of coarse whether you will be in a flat river bottom or whatever but I would want to be in good shape to hunt there and take good boots. I travel to and from the Lake of the Ozarks frequently through Camdenton to Lebanon and to St. James near Rolla to trout fish. Just curious but from Michigan, why Camden county MO. to hunt deer? All the big deer are in North MO., which is closer for you to drive. I have had several hunters from that area hunt with me in North West Missouri, for bigger bucks. As far as numbers of deer I would say they are very thick and should be easy to find.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Typical Buck

I am from that area and what I can tell you is its a great area to hunt I just hope that you are in good shape to walk the hills.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 AM
Spike

were going to camden because a guy we know owns the 1500 acres and is letting us hunt for free, we would prefer that it be closer to Iowa. the way i look at it is being from michigan the pressure cant be as high and the buck to doe ratio has to be better any were we go in missouri than it is at home. we are hunting just outside of the city of montreal from what i see on the map it looks flat
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

There you go, free places to hunt are good places to hunt. And Army bowhunter agree's, there are plenty of deer, but be prepared to walk steep hills. Most of the hiking I've done in the area was at Fort Leonardwood, but also Meremec spring area and Bennet Spring and Montauk Spring and around the lake. It's far from flat, unless like I said your in a river bottom or something.
North Missouri at the Iowa line is where I am, right along I-35. If you ever have a buck tag left over and want to use it to hunt here in Muzzleloader season let me know. I don't know that I can do free, but I can make a good deal on a muzz hunt.
The miles and money saved might be worth it and you will have much bigger deer to try for.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Camden co was the first place deer was restock in south central mo. My father was there when they was turned loose. They some good bucks in that area. Be in very good shape, there is tall ridges and deep hollow. Bring a good gps and a gps map, you can pick one up at wal-mart. Good luck hunting.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Spike

thanks everybody for the info. and turkey
guide i just might take you up on that if i dont see the buck that im looking for
Old 10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

We're bound to kill a few big ones in Nov., but there will be plenty left for you if you get the chance. I also have Iowa land but thats a whole other tag and set of rules. If you happen by this way stop and have a look around.