Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the wind?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Hunting in the wind?

I am going hunting in the morning and it is supposed to be 20 to 30 mph winds. I was just wondering if deer would still be moving?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

if they are, way early, the wind normally picks up after the sun is up...you may have a brief window...but, i would still go out and when it dies down, that may be when they get up, mill around, eat a few acorns, then lay back down...at the very least, still hunting may be a nice option to hide the sound of your footsteps
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Bowfly,
also try hillsides that block the winds.
I killed a nice 7 point buck on a windy day. Deer will stay quartering a hill that blocks the wind so they can hear better.
and if the wind is at their back it's even better for them,they can smell what they don't hear or see.
so keep the wind in your face and half way down a hillside, this is a time you'll find them working the valley's to get out of the wind.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer somewhere are always moving. They get up from their beds to urinate, deficate or feed momentarily, then back to bed. You just may catch them on their feet doing something, but not if you are in the house! Any chance you get to be in the deer woods, do it! If just killing is your intent, maybe the experience won't be as fun, but if a good hunt is your objective, then being out there is a good way to go about it. You can also expel wind myths by your own first hand experiences.

iSnipe
Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely spend the day still hunting. Possibly a lea hillside you don't usually hunt and turn it into a scouting with the bow in hand type of day.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike

thanks everyone I am going to go out since the wife will be gone I have the whole day. Going to try my luck!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you know where a natural funnel is in your area, I would try to hunt there. Deer will use them for traveling in the high winds.

I will not be going in the morning, because of the winds.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find the area where it is protected from the wind.

Canyon with steam and thick brush.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Use the wind to your advantage, use it to muffle noise, and carry your scent away. I'm sure there will still be some deer out and about.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Down this way there are practically no "open" areas, so stalk and hunt seldom pays off. If you ar ehunting where it is open, I would think you could catch deer bedded on the lea side of a hill, especially one on which the sun is shining. Even here in SE Alabama, I think even in 20-30 mph winds, slipping carefully about might pay off if you can ease up on the lea side of a hillside .... or maybe try setting up for a while over looking a draw or bottom, with the wind in your face and where there is some protection from the winds. Like already mentioned, they will move evnetually. May be after dark! But for sure you ain't gotta chance if you ain't out there!